Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

The new owner(Jan 1 1918) did not send me her name and

Customer Question
The new owner(Jan 1...

The new owner(Jan 1 1918) did not send me her name and address on where to send rent checks and the correct name on the checks... So I got the info from my previous owner... According to the rental manager the name is ***** ***** the checks and she still can't cash Jan., Feb., or Mar. Checks for $950 each check... She texted me to send new ones.... Since I never met her.. I wanted my checks sent back to me.. And I would gladly send her new ones.. Still haven't received them... She did send me the new address and name on these new checks.. Again as a text... I texted her back send the old ones cause for me to go to the bank and cancel the 3 checks will cost me over $90....and now I'm thinking maybe I'm getting scammed... Now it's time to send April check... Confused Alan L******

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Lake worth fla..

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None...

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No... Just want to not get evicted... Want to pay... Like my place...

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/23/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.

Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

My apologies for the delay. Technically since there is no rent paid (since it was paid to the wrong person) they could evict you now. Since you now have the correct information and you really like your apartment you need to decide whether you want to risk eviction vs. paying the $90 in cancelled check fees. And, I'll be perfectly honest with you... when I read that they won't send you your original checks back - my first thought was that this is a scam as well.

Can I answer anything else for you? If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.