Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I've never rented to tenants who have dogs, for obvious

Customer Question
I've never rented to tenants...
I've never rented to tenants who have dogs, for obvious reason, first young puppy will chew up the walls and everything you cannot expect. 2nd, liability because it's a duplex sharing one yard without fence between the units.I don't have liability insurance, what kind of liability insurance should I ask my tenant to get and to release me from any lawsuit or responsibility if her dogs hurt any persons or animals?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/22/2018
Lawyer: N Cal Atty, Attorney replied 3 months ago
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Attorney

Thank you for your question.

https://www.allstate.com/tools-and-resources/renters-insurance/liability-insurance.aspx

states: "Personal liability coverage is part of a standard renters insurance policy."

You can put a term into the lease that requires the tenant to have a renter's insurance policy that cover liability caused by the dogs.

I hope this information is helpful.