Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Hopefully, you can help. California and most local attorneys…

Customer Question
Hopefully, you can help. ...

Hopefully, you can help.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is the property located in? And has anyone consulted a local attorney about this?

California and most local attorneys don't handle Landlord Tenant cases.

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

We are located in an RV park which has some specific laws regarding RV park. The lease expired on 6/1 of last year. Re: maintenance or upkeep, we have been here 14 years in a 2000 Tropical motorhome. We were recently told (not in writing anywhere) that the Park owner only wants RV's under 10 years old. In order to comply, we have purchased a new RV for $35,000 and are ready for delivery. Issues that we have are that 1. Mgmt promised a French drain as we flood in water after a big rain, and has not done so. Thus, we are flooded in 6 inch water.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, do the RV park Occupancy laws take effect? If so, we'd be classified as residents and have more rights. We want to stay here and the manager agrres but the owner came through for the first time? and evicted everyone who did not look part time. We also have a deck that we had built when I became disabled 2 years ago as I cannot walk far and cannot do steps. The deck makes it easy for me for ingress and egress. My point is that we have been illegally and arbitrally evictedand wish to stay. 14 years is a long time!

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We are in California
The lease never said anything about upkeep. The Park rules do and we have kept it all up...weed whacking and such.The Park failed to keep trees trimmed and thus, we have a hole in or roof from an obvious branch. I am looking for a landlord tenant lawyer and can't find one. The RV Occupancy statutes explain everyones rights in an RV park...most important is that RV park management must give reasons for eviction from a list of items. On 2/14 and 2/27 Management sent us a note that they were no longer renewing our lease. Our lease expired in 2017.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
RE sending supporting documents...How? The CA RV Park Occupancy law is in writing. The documents such as our rental agreement, old lease and new notices are in hard copy only! We don't know how to send hard copies of our documents to you. I am 77 and roommate 66.
Also, roommate has been a part of the Park team of workkampers. Her job was/is to do all the gardening for park beautification and was ...
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Here is my issue(s) 1, All was fine with us and management for 14 years. 2. Owner comes by and arbitrarily says certain people and RVs must go if they look permanent as she wants the place to be weekenders only. 3. She says (heresay) to manager that our rig is too old and she does not like the deck. To handle this we buy a New rig and are ready for delivery and are willing to have deck modified smaller except for my needs for getting in and out with fewer steps. ADA laws.. POINT: Is the RV Occupancy Law current and does it have teeth? If so, we have it to help our problem as Owner must state what she does not like so that we can correct it! If law is not followed we are in the same bed as Landlord tenant laws renting under the landlord tenant laws for apts and houses and have NO recourse to stay here. We are at Delta Shores Resort and Marina in Isleton, CA on the Mokelumne River..and love it!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
2nd item...under RV Park laws can they just say they are not renewing our lease which expired last year? That seems like a sneaky way to evict without going through legally prescribed eviction procedures.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Because of my disability ( I took a bad fall on a Holland America Cruise 2.5 years ago and can't walk without a walker and sometimes a cane. The water (no French drain) is 12 in high and we can't move the new RV in or this one out. The Park Manager can't be nice with us as she will lose her job. The owner does NOT care and ignores any responsibilities she may have! My roommate could take pictures that we could e-mail to you to help you understand our situation. We look forward to your helpful response.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I suggest that you look at the California RV Occupancy Law and compare it with the standard Landlord Tennant Law. I believe it (RV Occupancy)should be the legal standard for CA. What do you think?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We believe that we are being evicted by way of owner saying she is not renewing our lease when , in fact, a rental agreement we had was for six months and expired last june. We also know, as the park manager told my roommate, that the owner does not like the deck, we had built,that is necessary because of my my disability for my ingress and egress. She also only wants rigs in here that are 10 years old or newer. That being said, and us being residents, not tenants ( RV Occupancy Act ), we can't just be given 30 days notice to leave. The ADA we need reasonable accommodation in order to leave. My disability and inability to walk without help will require about 90 days more time to properly vacate. Also, my roommate has Rheumatoid Arthritis and is considered disabled as a result My roommate had been doing park beautification landscaping and flower planting for the last 8 years or so. We had a reduced rent because of her work, She also had created a 25'X50' vegetable garden for all to enjoy for the past 5 years. We are paid members if Vista Resorts organization which enables us access to all parks owned by owner of this park and gives us cheaper camping at ROD and RPI camping parks nationwide. We pay quarterly for this. What happens to this membership after we leave. All this says is that the Park manager had no say in the 30 day notices even though she was told to send them. I believe she should also be required to sign what she sends.I think this all summarizes in a case for more moving time under the ADA as well as us perhaps staying here in the new RV we are buying, as we purchased it in response to hearing the owner wants RVs to be 10 years old and newer.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, enough rambling! I guess we need a legal basis for extending the (illegal 30 day notice..the law provides for 60 days) to about 120 days to leave. This is primarily based on my inability to walk without a walker and sometimes cane and based on the ADA requirement for necessary accommodation. Also, we need a formal request to stay rather than leave as we have purchased a 2018, new RV and are awaiting delivery as soon as the weather improves as out rented site is full of water from the constant rain. Finally, and not necessary to expound upon further at this time we have several legal issues to sue the Park for damages, I look forward to hearing from you...hopefully in writing and by telephone.
Diana D. DeLanoy
Answered in 1 day by:
3/23/2018
Lawyer: Michelle-Mod, Moderator replied 1 month ago
Michelle-Mod
Michelle-Mod, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Michelle, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you!
Michelle~Moderator
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I want to continue...time is of the essence!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Call me I'd rather talk than type
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Call me(###) ###-####
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
CALL ME
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Please Respond
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 29 days ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

I noticed that you required a phone call. If you get the request for this service, please accept the call and we can speak this morning.

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer