Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I live in a condo in Maryland. I had a tree fall and crash…

I live in a condo...
I live in a condo in Maryland. I had a tree fall and crash through one of my windows a few weeks ago (during the big wind storm nor'easter that came through my area). The condo association master policy covers this type of damage. The condo association concedes this point. What they've done for me so far is to mitigate by putting up a piece of plyboard in place of the since-removed window fragments. They tell me they legally have 180 days to resolve the issue (by replacing the window). I find this hard to believe but I don't know where to look for guidance. Is there anything I can do to apply pressure? They are dragging their feet and it is cold in my unit. I don't know which category this technically belongs to. Thanks!
3/22/2018
legalgems
legalgems, attorney
I am sorry to hear this.
The statute is silent as to the time frame in which repairs must be completed. Please see code 11 108 here:https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://sos.maryland.gov/Documents/CondominiumBooklet.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwimuejL3_7ZAhUQHqwKHTVkDJcQFjAGegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw2xiETEOXXwPNoz0mku6rP3What this means is that the owner would need to look to the governing documents (bylaws, CC&Rs) as that serves as the contract between the board and the owners if the statute is silent.It is possible to sue for an injunction or to request permission to resolve the issue and seek reimbursement.
legalgems
legalgems, attorney
Ok. Thank you tremendously! I may pose another question to you later on a similar matter. Thanks!!!