Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I manage a property for an owner in AL. The lease is not up…

I manage a property...

I manage a property for an owner in AL. The lease is not up until Sept. 30. Owner is wanting to sell the house and I discussed that with current tenant and he said that was fine, he understood. He would only want a 60 days notice to find another home. Now he is saying NO--he is wanting to stay.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Alabama

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No maintenance, upkeep issues. Tenant pays rent on 1st and is a great tenant.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at the moment.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Does the lease contain any provision allowing for early termination of the lease?

Did the tenant sign anything agreeing to leave upon 60 days notice?

No provision and no he didn't sign anything.

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger.

Unfortunately, the tenant can not be forced t leave until the lease expires or they are in default.

They can also agree to leave on 60 days notice if the parties agree in writing as a modification of the lease. A written agreement can only be amended in writing. So, a verbal offer to leave early is not enforceable.

The owner may want to consider sweetening the pot with a "cash for keys" offer, if they are so motivated.

Otherwise, any conveyance is subject to the existing tenancy.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Are you still online with me?

sorry. I was emailing the owner to let him know of your response. Thank you. I appreciate it.

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Lawyer