Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I own my home in Florida and lease the lot from Sun

Customer Question
I own my home...

I own my home in Florida and lease the lot from Sun Communities. After moving in, we discovered that the lot was not properly graded, and as a result, the lot retains water and there's been erosion under the concrete slab our sunroom sites on. We've paid to stabilize the concrete pad, but Sun may or may not pay to fix the drainage problems. We're currently discussing it. If they're not fixed, there's a danger the slab will sink further damaging our sunroom even more.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I have had 2 irrigation experts inspect the property and Sun had a company do the same. All three state that a drainage system needs to be installed to remedy the drainage issue and protect the sunroom foundation. It has already sunk 2 inches along an out side wall. Have a meeting scheduled with Sun tomorrow to review the estimates. They have stated they will have answer by the end of the month whether they will pay for it or not.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a FL lawyer about this?

No, I'm not ready to take that step yet. Florida state statues state that a park owner must act in good faith with tenants. I will give them that opportunity.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Florida state statutes also state I must maintain the lot in a clean and sanitary manner, which I do.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
If Sun Communities refuses to pay for the irrigation work, which is approximately $2400, would I need to pay for the work and then take the case to small claims court to recover? Additionally, due to the extensive mud and soft ground, approximately 1/3 of our leased lot is unusable about 70% of the time. Would I have grounds to demand a lot lease reduction since we are not able to use the entire lot? Lastly, I'm disabled and walk with a cane. Due to the mud, water and slippery grass, I'm concerned about a fall when it's necessary for me to walk on this section of the yard. I've made this point very clearly to them. If they choose not to repair the yard, and I'm injured in any way, I believe they would be responsible for any medical bills and any other damages since they have written prior knowledge of my condition and of the yard's condition.
Answered in 2 days by:
3/24/2018
Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 3 months ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Lawyer: legalgems, attorney replied 3 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, attorney

Good Day!A few minutes please as I review your question so I can provide you with legal information. Thanks!

Can you tell me what statutes in particular you are referencing?
Also do the governing docs (bylaws, CC&Rs) of the community discuss who is responsible for grading issues?

Also how long is the land lease for please?

FL state mobile home statutes.
CCR's do not deal with land lease.
99 year lease.
Did you see my answers? Thanks.
No. Where is it?
I'm sorry. I am not familiar with mobile home issues. I will opt out so another contributor can assist you and let the moderator know so they can help locate someone to assist you.
Thank you. Ms Moderator, please get another lawyer for me. In two hours it will have been 24 hours since I asked the question again that I asked on Thursday. Which the web page said was waiting for me as soon as I paid. There was no answer.