Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

We just recently moved into Greer South Carolina and we are…

We just recently moved...

We just recently moved into Greer South Carolina and we are renting a house from a company. When we did the walk through the house everything was fine. The house was clean smelled like it was just cleaned and they installed new carpets so it had that new carpet smell. The weather was mild so I didn’t even think about turning on the heat. About a week and a half later the weather turned colder and we had to turn on the heat. When we did in the upstairs master suite and bathroom it reeked of cigarette smoke. The company that we are renting from has a no smoking policy on there website that’s why we choose them. My fiancé has asthma and the cigarette smoke smell makes it hard to breathe and she has to use her nebulizer machine to be able to breath. In the end of February they had a company come out and clean the air ducts of the house but all that did was clean the dust out of them and when they got here I asked them what there plan was to get the tar and nicotine out of the ducts because that’s where the smell is coming from not so much the dust.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

South carolina Greenville county sorry i wasn’t done typing and hit enter by accident

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

My question is after almost 3 months going back and forth with the company they are willing to let us out of the lease with out any penalty but not willing to help with any of the relocation cost of moving

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of at the moment. Thank you

3/20/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think I will just type for now instead of a call

If you have reached the end of the negotiation and they are not budging on the relocation expenses then the next step would be to sue for breach of the lease and the warranty of habitability.

The reality is that it may be better to exit with a complete release of any further liability under the lease, rather than get involved in the time and expense of protracted litigation in which the success is by no means assured.

Just make sure that any settlement you reach with the landlord is put in writing and signed so that is enforceable.

Did you have any further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Loren. Thank you that was kind of what I was thinking but just wanted reassurance on the issue.

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Lawyer
Loren, Lawyer