Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have been living in an apartment for the last year. Of…

I have been living...

I have been living in an apartment for the last year. Of course, I had a lease contract. I have been building a home and this weekend moved in. I gave the apartment notice a month ago that I would be moving. However, last week and inspector came to the apartment to inspect it. He said that I had to be out by the 21st. I asked one of the office ladies and she said the same thing. When I went to turn my keys in yesterday the Manager there said that I didn't need to turn the keys in yet and that I was obligated to pay until the 2nd of May. As far as I know, the clock stopped when they said I had to be out. I'm paid up until the end of the month. I feel they owe me for 10 days rent. What do you think?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Utah. I was living in South Jordan.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

The name of the apartment is San Tropez. I told my bank to stop payment because I had it set up to auto pay.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't know what. I just don't think this was right. I told the manager that I wasn't going to pay because I was told I had to leave. She just said that they would sent it to collections. End of discussion.

3/20/2018
Lori
Lori, FL attorney

Hello. Let me see if I can assist. While you did break your lease early, I think you have a good waiver argument as to the balance of the lease payments when they told you to get out by March 21st. It is unlikely that they are going to sue you for the 1 month's worth of rent left in your lease. Besides, the landlord has an obligation to re-let the premises immediately. The landlord cannot wait to collect from you or re-let the property AND collect from you on the lease.

Be sure to check you lease agreement as to default and early termination provisions.

Have I answered all your questions?
If so, please be sure to accept my response and post a positive 5-star rating.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your response. That is my assessment of the situation. The clock stopped when they said I had to be out by the 21st. If they want to come after me they have got a fight on their hands. Thanks again.

They are being very petty given that it is one month and they told you to leave.

You are welcome.

Please be sure to accept my response and post a positive 5-star rating so I get credit for responding.

Lori
Lori, FL attorney
Lori
Lori
Lori, FL attorney