Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Can an HOA treat a renter differently than the townhome

Customer Question
Can an HOA treat...

Can an HOA treat a renter differently than the townhome owner? ie the renters can only have a guest over night for 5 nights but their are no restrictions on the town home owners of this kind.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Colorado Springs, Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Yes, regarding the interior of the property, the exterior is covered by the HOA. It is a small 12 unit HOA and the president is making all of the decisions without the approval of the owners.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They have also stipulated a maximum amount of people allowed to be on the lease but they have nothing about that for the home owners. ie there is 3 people one single and two married and the HOA said that they only allow 2 renters in the property.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/20/2018
Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Infolawyer, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Yes, an HOA can have different rules for owners and renters. In fact it is common practice to afford better treatment and privilege to owners.

Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”If you have a follow up, just reply and ask me!