Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

Need a lawyer in Indiana. Have moved but they still owe me

Customer Question

Need a lawyer in Indiana. Have moved but they still owe me money. Also, I am disabled and they picked on my disability, I think I should be up for significant compensation for that.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Indiana
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: He left me with frozen pipes for 18 days, Had to thaw them myslelf. He refused to pay me for my work. I fell through the deck which he repeatedly said he would fix. He never even asked if I was injured when he was informeed
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Lease, one year, boilerplate. I told him to keep my deposit as last months rent. He came to the house VERY confrontational. I actually thought I was about to be attacked. I gave him a check for the $500 paying the entire month in full. He basically tossed me out 2 weeks later. Refused to allow me to hire someone to clean the place. Tried to dictate who could visit and so forth.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Wendy replied 8 months ago.
I'm a moderator for this website. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you,
Wendy
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I still need a lawyer experienced in the law in that state. I will continue to seek that professional assistance. I would continue with you, only I found while surfing around your site that I was paying about $15 per E-mail asking if my computer problem had blown me out of the system. Seeing as I agreed to pay $5 (refundable) for a consultation and (if it was in the agreement somewhere) you charged me $15 per Email I don't think that I will continue to use you. If you can not trust your lawyer, you truly ARE screwed. NOT IMPRESSED! Having practiced law for 5 years, And been successful as the President and CEO of an international corporation, I feel that is completely, totally and wholly unethical. A client is not a piggy bank, thanks. Paying for services of a lawyer is NOT a problem. I kind of understand what goes into the education. But paying to ask if my message had gotten through? I don't think so. Please cancel my account and consider reversing ALL charges. The transaction was international and trust me, I know what to do with that. Landlord tenant for Indiana, not so much. A lawyer would have gotten a minimum of $25,000 out of a simple case. But you had to ding me, repeatedly. Hasta La Bye Bye.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 8 months ago.

Dear Customer. I believe that are under the erroneous impression that we can serve as your lawyer(s). We cannot. We provide legal information only and there is no attorney client relationship. I am an Indiana attorney. If you wsh to submit a question about a legal matter please do so and I will try to help. You are not obligated to pay for any answers that you do not find acceptable.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No. I am not under an erroneous impression. (I don't think) I was under the impression you were able to connect me to a lawyer that could help me with an issue in Indiana. I was told that a $5 charge which was refundable was needed. I paid it. Then, lost the connection. In trying to find out if things were in process, I ran across a page showing I was being charged for each E-mail above an beyond what I had been quoted. I DO need a lawyer in Indiana. Landlord tenant. There is a lease. (boilerplate, generic) the landlord did not live up to the lease. He left me without water for 18 days. I am disabled, but I bought the tools needed and repaired the problem. That was expensive and VERY painful! He complained when I billed him for this claiming to have the needed tools. Which I would have known if he would have contacted me and we could have talked about it. he did not, so I did what I had to do. I could not do dishes, cook, do laundry, shower or use the toilet. Also, when I fell through the deck, he never responded at ALL though he had been promising to fix the deck for almost a year. He first made that promise before I agreed to rent from him. Never even asked if I was injured in the fall. When I gave notice, I told him keep the deposit as the last months rent. He came to the door enraged. he was so angry he was shaking, very loud and very confrontational. I honestly thought I was about to be attacked physically, so I gave him an additional $500. I also gave him instructions where to send my deposit. After that, he dogged me. I couldn't have visitors, I could not hire help to move, I could not hire someone to clean the house. He basically told me that if he found I was not on the premises, he would seize the property as abandoned, including of course all my belongings. He then told me he was "canceling my contract". he ran me out 15 days before my paid up time was over. He used my disability, which he was fully aware of, as a weapon to demoralize, abuse and evict me. I gave him 6 months, then sent a demand for my money. He never responded. That's over 6 months ago. Now, comes the time, before the statute runs out, that I wish to sue him for the money he owes me and every penny I can extract from him, every penny I can get. I have located others he has done this too. I have witnesses. I have all of the text messages we traded. I believe the legal term is "intentional infliction of emotional distress"? I am a 100% service connected, permanent and total disabled veteran, And I have had it with this guy. I have never sued a landlord before. But this one..... oh yeah!