Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Have a slum lord I’m section 8 approved. I’ve been living at…

Customer Question
Have a slum lord...

Have a slum lord I’m section 8 approved. I’ve been living at the same address for 3 years. My stove washer and dryer all need repairs I’ve been calling since December he hasn’t responded oh he took all the arms off of every window in the hallways and stair wells to control heating costs and he’s forcing us to pay his sewage bills please help I’m disabled I have a very rare auto immune disorder I can’t go to laundry mats to do my laundry It would probably result in me catching the Black Plague. What do I do please help this has been going on since December 2016

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Connecticut

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

He’s a section 8 landlord it’s his responsibility when he took on section 8 tenants

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I need help please

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
That’s the sewage bill he keeps forcing us to pay
3/20/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about this situation. This appears to be a violation of the implied warranty (promise) of habitability if he has not fixed the washer or dryer. All residential leases and rental agreements contain an implied warranty of habitability. Under the "implied warranty of habitability," the landlord is legally responsible for repairing conditions that seriously affect the rental unit's habitability. That is, the landlord must repair substantial defects in the rental unit and substantial failures to comply with state and local building and health codes. However, the landlord is generally not responsible under the implied warranty of habitability for repairing damages that were caused by the tenant or the tenant's family, guests, or pets. The usual measure of damages is either 1) a cancellation of the lease agreement; 2) a withholding of the rent until the item is repaired; or 3) you repair the matter yourself and request reimbursement.

You may want to consider just writing a drafting a notice to the landlord detailing the problems and that you will exercise one of those options if they do not make the necessary repairs to the property. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?