Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I am rentinting in treasure island St. Petersburg with a…

I am rentinting in...

I am rentinting in treasure island St. Petersburg with a lease of 3 months . I moved in on Feb. 1st and I noticed by the corner of the floor termites . Now my landlord is saying it’s my responsibility to meet with the e terminators and resolve everything they needed . I told him that I will vacate for the three days but it’s up to him to ensure that all preparations are done in a safe and secure manner . The only property I have there is my clothes . What are my rights ???

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

What does the lease say about this?

I need to know my rights as where I am renting has termites & I am being told I have to vacate at my expense & also do the prep work before the professionals begin this involved process & clean up once they are finished. Who insures it’s safe for me to move back in?

Unless the lease states this and you agreed, it would be the responsibility of the landlord to do this. The landlord needs to hire and pay the company and make arrangements for you to relocate. I have never heard of a landlord telling the tenant to just handle it, as it is not their responsibility unless agreed otherwise and if this was a 3 months short-term lease and you just moved in, it is clear that this was present prior to.

No

No to what?

Are you saying that the landlord is responsible for the costs I incurr optainung a hotel? And do I need to meet with the termite people prior to their starting?
My landlord is saying I need to sign a waiver with the termite service
wants me too meet with them so they can tell me everything that needs to be done prior to them arriving . The only thing I have there are clothes and shoes

A waiver for what? If the terminate company requires you to sign something since you reside there, Yes you need to speak with them and review the document, as it is likely advising you of what is going to happen and what needs to be done by you, for your safety and protection. However, the landlord should hire the company and take care of payment, etc. They also should relocate you or prorate the rent, since you paid rent but can not stay there.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

How should I proceed ? Now that I have not been available to meet with the exterminators ? Is it the landlords responsibility to insure that his furniture and belongs are protected from harmful chemicals and to insure that I return the home is free of harmful chemicals

If this is a licensed company, they will inspect after, to make sure it is free to move back into. As far as the furniture, the landlord should protect these things if needed but it may not be necessary, which is why all parties should speak with the company. If you can not meet with them, speak with them over the phone so you can be advised of what needs to be done.

I work 16 hour days and I am not readily available
To meet

Speak with them over the phone then or have them email you any paper work, you need to review and sign.

Due to the termites and the tenting of the house I am currently renting . Can I break my lease ? Is this one of my rights ??

Good morning and great to hear back from you. No, you can not break the lease, if the landlord cures this and takes care of it and the rental is habitable. The landlord has a duty and obligation to remove them and treat the rental but if he does so, it does not allow you to break the lease. If they refused, that would be a different issue but they are going it.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

If I do not feel comfortable initial the attachment since I am not the customer . My only tenting in this whole process is to insure my belonging and myself is offf the property . Why would I need to sign to the attachment. The landlord says I need to sign and is bulling me into doing so. My response to him is that I have agreed to remove my belonging and vacate for three and .5 days.
I have also ask the exterminator to tell me gas being used and I would like to see the MSDS . I have the right to know what kind of gas is being used. I have heard different thing from different exterminators and websites how you need to prepare,
Once again I don’t feel comfortable in signing or initialing someone that pertains more to the customer or landlord who hired this exterminator and needs to make the arrangement to have his house prepared for this procedure. The only thing I have are my clothes toltieties and book and these items will be removed .
Thanks so much,
Yoly

This appears to state what you must do, as the resident of the home, to prepare it for the tenting. If you do not feel comfortable, do not sign it but unless you do, they likely will not proceed, since it advises you of what must be done. If you have issues, you need to consult with local counsel and retain them at this time, since your decision to not sign and agree to the rules and what is required, which is clearly stated, will prevent this from happening and if you do so, the landlord may try and evict you.

If he evicts me do I get my my security and last month ?? I have payed him 9000.00 upfront for a three month rental .
Security alone was 2300.00
Can you recommend someone in St Petersburg I could go to??

If they evict you, they could sue for damages and loss of rental income, so there may be an issue. The landlord has a duty to mitigate damages, so you could be liable for unpaid rent while this remains vacant. You can contact the Florida Bar this morning and they can place you with an attorney in your area. Here is their contact information.

Phone(###) ###-####br />Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

What if exterminators says it safe for me too move in but I become sensitized to the
Remaining gas. What if I become ill??? Who will insure that I am entering a safe environment .

These chemicals are made and designed to be safe and to allow you to re-enter, after the process. If you have concerns, you would need to bring in a third party to test, to make sure it is safe, if you do not trust them and what they are using.

LandlordTenantAnswer