Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Need to know options to sue landlord for breach of contract…

Need to know options to...
Need to know options to sue landlord for breach of contract.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/17/2018
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

If you can post your legal question and some of the back story about what is going on, I should be able to help.

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Barrister - Thank you for your response. I will try to explain as best as I can. I recently rented a property in Pittsburgh, Pa. I moved in on March 15th. The house has been remodeled but is totally uninhabitable. I feel this whole situation was a scam as far as I am concerned. We were lied to right from the beginning that this place was habitable and it is far from it. There are electrical issues, gas line issues, bugs and animal problems, health hazards from possible rabid wildlife and methane gas from the drains and also her verbal confirmation that she would never fix the issue. I am sure if I check none of the permits were completed to do the remodel (the reason she is letting this go) and I know it was never inspected because no inspector would have passed any of this. We went into this agreement with every intention of honoring our side but this house has made that impossible to do so. I truly feel she is in breach of contract. The last communication I had with her said that I was unhappy with the property and wanted to terminate the lease and she could keep all monies to date. She accepted that proposal and I have a release for her to sign when we move on Monday but that also releases me from taking any action against her. I am wondering what my chances are of winning if I litigate? The lease is written that I will be responsible for her legal fees also if I lose. I appreciate your time and help! Thoughts? Thank you - Matt
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
To move in was $3300 and have payed 1 month rent already $1400 per month. I will send links of the house and also of the listing from before they remodeled it. That may help.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/74-Glenburn-Dr-Pittsburgh-PA-15236/11467871_zpid/
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/74-Glenburn-Dr_Pittsburgh_PA_15236_M49058-45543
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
2 professional plumbers have comfirmed the pipes are all broken and need replaced. The first estimate was for $7250 but the second estimate was for 10-20k because they actually put a camera down the line and saw that it was completely broken to the main.

She accepted that proposal and I have a release for her to sign when we move on Monday but that also releases me from taking any action against her. I am wondering what my chances are of winning if I litigate?

.

Zero if you sign the release stating that you release her and she releases you..

.

But if it were me and there are that many things wrong with the place, I would document them with photos and written documentation, then move out, then sue her for a refund of all your rent/deposit and any moving costs.

.

.

thanks

barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I agree. Thank you for the confirmation. I appreciate your time. Take care! - Matt
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you agree that her agreeing to that release is most likely a sign that she knows what she did and didn’t do and hope we just leave?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Otherwise, I think she would be invoking the termination clause and demanding her full lease term amount.

.

Yep. She just wants you gone.. So I would never as a tenant agree to give up what I had paid... never... she is completely liable here.. So at best, ***** ***** agree that she refunds everything and you vacate and wipe the slate clean.

.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That’s what I thought also. Thank you again very much! Wish you were in Pa for when I need to deal with her. Take care! - Matt

Thank you very much for the positive rating and generous bonus, it is greatly appreciated!

barristerinky
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney