Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My daughter and son-in-law have 2 children under the age of…

Customer Question
My daughter and son-in-law...

My daughter and son-in-law have 2 children under the age of 5, my grandson is not even a year old. After letting my son-in-law go from his job last week, the boss, also the landlord, put a 3 day notice on their door this afternoon. My daughter told me it says "you have 3 days to get out of my house or you will be evicted"

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is the property located in? And has anyone consulted a local attorney about this?

Now, that said, there was no lease signed, and the rent was being taken from my son-in-laws check. The house is a slum house, no running water, mice and who knows what in the basement, broken ceiling, broken windows and doors, etc...

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

What legal rights do they have? Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I just don't think its legal for this person to do this. My daughter is beside herself

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/17/2018
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 4 months ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. You are correct. This is not the proper notice. Without a lease, they would have a month to month tenancy. If either party wanted to end this, they would need to give at least a 30 day notice to vacate. However, if this is an issue where rent is owed and has yet to be paid, a 3 day notice to pay or vacate can be given. If the rent is current and/or paid, they can remain and would need a 30 day notice. The 3 day notice to simply vacate, is not legal and the landlord would need a legal basis to evict.