Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Is there a time period on how carpeting can be in a rental…

Is there a time...

Is there a time period on how long carpeting can be in a rental dwelling?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is the property located in? And has anyone consulted a local attorney about this?

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

The lease is a 1 year that renews every year. The tenants have been there for approx. 4 years.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't believe so, thank you.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Is the tenant asking that this is replaced? Is there anything wrong with it?

the tenant is asking to replace the carpet with laminate and do the work themselves. I have told them that I need to look at the carpet and they have not yet invited me in.
The carpeting was installed 8 years ago when I moved out of the house. There was nothing wrong with it when they moved in.

Thank you and please allow me a moment

Typically, 5-7 years is a good time frame as far as the life of the carpet. A lot depends on the usage of it and normal wear and tear. I think if it has been there for 8 years and the property has been tenant occupied, it is about time to replace. Now, if the tenant wants to replace the carpet with laminate and pay for it on their own, that would be ideal, so you do not need to incur the cost, as long as they know you will not be reimbursing them for this. However, unless they are licensed and trained and have experience with this, you may not want them to do it on their own and would want a professional doing the work. Moreover, you have a right to inspect the carpet and they need to allow you in and if they refuse, you can provide them notice and inspect it

They are telling me that it is a law that I need to have this replaced after 7 years? I know that he is not a licensed contractor, but may have experience with this. Is it a law that this is replaced?
If the carpet is inspected and found to not be normal wear and tear, can they be evicted for destruction?

If they damaged or destroyed the carpet, they would need to replace it. There is no law that requires you to allow a tenant to lay down the flooring and while you can allow it, it may not be best to leave it up to the tenant to do, since if they do not know what they are doing or do it wrong, there could be problems down the road.

Is there a Pa law that states this has to be replaced after 7 or 8 years? This is the question that needs to be answered.
If so, can you give the statute number that I can look up on the state website?

I am not aware of any specific statute that states you have seven years before it needs to be replaced. You can shift the burden to them, and ask them to show where the code/statute specifically states this.

Ok thank you.
You are welcome and please let me know if there is anything else as I would be happy to respond. If not I kindly just ask that you rate my help at the top at this time.
LandlordTenantAnswer