Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Just verbally agreed on a resolution re a parking issue

Customer Question
between Tenants and Landlord, initiated...
Just verbally agreed on a resolution re a parking issue between Tenants and Landlord, initiated free of charge by a city renter mediation service in my city. Written agreement presented to all parties, included the generic language:
“Upon the execution of this Agreement and full compliance of all the terms in this Agreement, Parties agree to release each other of any and all liability related to the Tenant’s tenancy at the Premises.”
As Landlord (California), I want to be certain that by signing this, I would not be relinquishing my rights should I have a future claim against this Tenant regarding, say, damage to the apartment I am not aware of, non compliance per the lease agreement, etc.
Reference to California Civil Code Section 1542 was made in response to my expressed concern....but I want to be certain I am not giving up my future rights over this resolution of a PARKING issue caused by this Tenant.
Thanks in advance.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/17/2018
Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your contractual and settlement question this evening.

I'm attorney Bill assisting you with your legal query.

The code section is the following:

"

1542.

A general release does not extend to claims which the creditor does not know or suspect to exist in his or her favor at the time of executing the release, which if known by him or her must have materially affected his or her settlement with the debtor."

So the release clause covers all known claims and should be a final resolution between landlord and tenant.

The agreement is limited to the the parking if that's what the settlement is in relation to.

Do you have a copy of the agreement as I do review these as an additional service ?

Private contractual agreement cannot supersede State laws in any case in relation to landlord and tenant liabilities.

We are here to help so please follow up with me as required.

In return your positive rating is much appreciated.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

FIVE STARS or your rating in this regard is much appreciated.

Best

Attorney Bill

Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 28 days ago

Dear Customer ,

I'd like to follow up on our recent interaction. Has your legal dilemmas been solved ?

Just a reminder that my effort and time goes without remuneration unless you leave a positive rating.

So please do take this time.

FIVE STARS or your rating is much appreciated.

Best

Attorney Bill

Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer