Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I own a 2 bedroom condo that I purchased inside a 4 story…

I own a 2 bedroom...
I own a 2 bedroom condo that I purchased inside a 4 story apartment building. Instead of renting it out to tenants, I want to use it as an office for my business because my office lease has expired and it will be cheaper for me to move my work into the condo rather than renting an office space in an office building. Is it legal for me to use my condo as a business office if I am not living there? I have 3 employees who will be coming there everyday to work. Can the building HOA throw me out of the building or report me to the city zoning agency?
3/16/2018
philip.simmons

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Can you tell me, is this property zoned commercial?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. I will wait for your respnse. Thank You.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no, it is an apartment building.

If you are running a business in a property that is not zoned commercial? That COULD be a basis for the HOA to sanction you...or report this to the city/county (whomever controls zoning for this location). The HOA can not toss you out (you are the owner)...but they could fine you, consistent with the HOA rules.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

philip.simmons
philip.simmons
philip.simmons
philip.simmons, Lawyer