Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

In Denver, Colorado, what are the laws regarding refusal to…

Customer Question
In Denver, Colorado, what...

In Denver, Colorado, what are the laws regarding refusal to rent to an applicant?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Denver, CO

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

! year lease. Can I refuse rental due to criminal history?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The tenant has sexual criminal history although about 10 years ago.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/16/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. The answer to your question is that if someone has a sexual criminal history, you can refuse to rent to that person. Most landlords in Colorado screen for criminal history and there is no law that prohibits a refusal to rent. Landlords cannot discriminate on the basis of race, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, or religious affiliation either under the Fair Housing Act, but criminal history is not one of the included reasons.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?