Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I told my landlord five months ago the oven didn't work.

I told my landlord...

I told my landlord five months ago the oven didn't work. Still don't have it fixed or a new one. Can I leave?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is the property located in? And has anyone consulted a local attorney about this?

PA No I haven't

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

There was no written contract and no down payment. He just said $800 a month and I've always paid on time.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/16/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

There did not have to be a written contract, under PA landlord tenant law, the landlord must provide a habitable premises and if the property includes appliances, that means working appliances. If he refuses to repair, you can sue the landlord for all the rent you paid during the time he did not make repairs and you can also leave as well for him breaching the lease. You can sue in small claims court for your $800 per month you paid for the last 5 months since the landlord refused to make reasonable necessary repairs.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your help! The working dishwasher when I moved in has been removed and never replaced for two years. I just want to get away from the rental cause he isn't taking care of anything.

Thank you for your reply.

You have a right to leave as well as sue.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney