Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Can a landload sell his house with a tenant in it

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Sure, happens all the time. The new owner just steps into the shoes of the old one as the landlord and any lease transfers to the new owner. The tenant just begins paying the new owner the rent once the closing occurs.

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what if the new not going to rent it
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what if the new owner not going to rent
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how many days does a tenant got to move out here in indiana

what if the new not going to rent it

.

They don't have the legal authority to end any lease early. If the tenant has a fixed term lease, like a year, the new owner has to honor it, whether they want to or not.

.

When they buy the house, they take it subject to any lease in place at the time.

.

If the tenant is not under a written fixed term lease, then they can typically end it with a written 30 day notice to vacate.

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what if the Landload just gave him 13 days to get out

That isn't legal and the notice doesn't have any legal effect.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what should I do I don't have no where to go to live

Why would you have to leave? The notice is no good as I said... unless you are in breach of the lease somehow like by not paying the rent..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
because landload said he sold the house that why
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the rent has been pay up april

Ok, maybe I wasn't clear.. When the house is sold, the new owner just becomes your landlord. If the old landlord sold the house, he is no longer your landlord and has no legal power to do anything at all to you....he doesn't own the house any longer..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok , but what if new person that bought the is not going rent it
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that mean the new owner have to tell him to get out

Are you under a lease that says you get to live there for a certain amount of time , like 6 months or a year?

.

If so, when does the lease expire?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he sign a lease but it is month- to- month. I live their for three year or more

Ok, then the new owner would have to give you a written 30 day notice to terminate your lease before he could end it.

.

Then he would have to file a formal eviction case in court to get a judgment to force you to leave. That takes another month..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can I make copy of this what we are talking about

Sure, when I want to save something, I copy and paste it into a Word document to save it..

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I need time to find a place to rent or buys
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm not ready yet I still have question

Ok, I can't answer it if you don't ask it...

barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

barristerinky
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney