Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I just sighned a 1 yr rental lease. 2 weeks paid 1st last I…

Customer Question
I just sighned a...

I just sighned a 1 yr rental lease . 2 weeks paid 1st last I have not moved in yet only a few small things. I have a financial crisis and wont be able to aford the monlthyl payments

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

California humboldt county

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

I'll go get the lease from my car brb

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that i still owe the security deposit wich is the same as rent 1650.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/15/2018
Lawyer: Bruce Schreiber, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Bruce Schreiber

Welcome & thank you for your question. I am the professional that will be assisting you.

Once you and the landlord sign the lease a binding agreement is created. So you are responsible to fulfill the obligations of the lease.

Since you haven't moved in yet, i would discuss your situation with the landlord. Impress upon him that you can not afford to pay and he will only incur extra expense and trouble if he insists upon performance and later has to evict you for non payment. Even if he won't let you out, he has a legal obligation to try to rent to someone else to limit the damages and cannot simply keep it empty for the length of the lease and hold you responsible.

Do you have further questions?