Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I am looking to evict someone from my home as quickly as…

Customer Question
Hi I am looking...

Hi I am looking to evict someone from my home as quickly as possible with it being legal she hasn't paid rent in 3 months has been bringing random guys into the house and also doing drugs in the house

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

We had given her 30 day verbal that ends soon

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She has been lashing out and doesn't watch her kids cops was here today

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/15/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

This sounds like you may need to begin the eviction process. The eviction process applies to all landlords and tenants and the law does not concern itself whether the agreement is in writing or whether the tenant has paid rent. Eviction procedures also apply to tenants and subtenants as well. Regardless, although a landlord will have to go through eviction procedures, the landlord must pay special attention to some important legal concepts.

Generally, a landlord must follow procedural requirements when issuing an eviction notice. This means a tenant must receive written notice of the eviction before it is effective; in most cases it is at least 30 days. In addition, a landlord’s eviction is unlawful generally if they violated the implied warranty of habitability; the implied warranty of quiet enjoyment; if the landlord has locked the tenant out; if the landlord has failed to uphold promises made in the agreement; or if the tenant has cured a problem such as past due rent. Plus, landlords cannot discriminate on the basis of race, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, or religious affiliation under the Fair Housing Act. So, if you are going to evict, you must be very careful that you’re providing enough time and doing it for the right reasons. Regardless, if a tenant fails to pay the agreed upon rent, is at the end of their tenancy, or is not performing promises in the agreement, then you can evict. In your case, you will wan tot go with a three-day written notice she must pay the rent or leave the premises.

If you click here, you can see the variety of eviction notices that are available to you depending on your situation.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?