Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

If I paid for a fine for ‘doing business without a license’

while it was pending issuance...
If I paid for a fine for ‘doing business without a license’ while it was pending issuance on the same day of the fine well before my court date, can I get that money back if I showed up to court?
It went through first phase of passing inspection.
3/15/2018
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for requesting for my assistance once more.

Your Question:

Response: This is a gray area.

The City may not reimburse you for the fine paid since technically at the time the fine was issued, you did not have any license. However, you can argue to the Court that the fine should be reimbursed because you obtained your business license the same day that you were cited for operating without a license.

Best wishes,

Business License was never issued to us since the fine on 2/6/2018. This is part of my original question to you about the Mayor abusing his powers to use his office to see that we never do business because it’s from a campaign office of his opponent even though our business has nothing to do with politics.

Oh, I see.

Then you are entitled to reimbursement of the fine paid under the circumstances.

Kindly disregard my previous answer.

It was two tickets (operating without business license $100 & having a sign without permit $500 total $600) I’m due in court today in a couple of hours. You think they will reimburse me for both?
should reimburse

They should under the circumstances. There is clearly abuse of power here by the Mayor. So, you need to state that in your argument with the Court for reimbursement of the fines paid.

Goodluck with the case,

Should I plea guilty or not in court?
Never mind, I didn’t have to open my mouth. The village of Dolton asked for a continuance to investigate further. I agreed. Buying time couldn’t hurt me.

I am sorry, I stepped away from my computer your follow-up question came in:

Should I plea guilty or not in court?

Response 1: Not guilty

Response 2: That is correct. However, you should not plead guilty since your application is being withheld for political reasons.

Best wishes,

You’re great! Thanks!!

You are quite Welcome!

What will you charge me to draft a formal complaint against the Mayor to the Illinois DA for abusing the public trust for political and personal purposes?

Thank you for the information.

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was offline when your response came in.

Unfortunately, I am unable to entertain your request. Document drafting is handled through the site's premium service that I do not participate in. However, there are other Attorneys on the site who participate in the program that may be interested in your offer. Thus, you need to open a new thread and specifically request for document drafting.

In the meantime, a positive rating is appreciated for my post on this thread so that I can receive credit from the site for answering your questions.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Have a wonderful day!

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law