Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

If I call a plumber out to my rental and no problem is

Customer Question
If I call a...

If I call a plumber out to my rental and no problem is found, yet the tenant wants a 2nd opinion who's responsibility is it to pay for the 2nd opinion

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

I am responsible for maintenance that's why I called the first plumber, tenant did not agree with the outcome of first so tenant got 2nd but wants me to pay for both bills the 1st and 2nd

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/15/2018
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 4 months ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good evening. That would fall on the tenant. If there was an issue and you sent a plumber out and they were licensed and insured and they did not find anything that needed repair or has a difference of opinion than that of the tenant, the tenant would need to pay for another opinion. Now, if they find someone and they do not agree with the findings of your plumber, you would likely want a third opinion at that time and have the person assess both opinions, to come to a conclusion. However, if you send someone out and they provide a finding/answer, you do not have to pay for a second opinion because the tenant wants one.

thank you

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

just talked to my property manager... I was wrong... I did not call out a plumber first, but the tenant or property manager called out the city water inspector who found no leaks.. the rest of my question remains the same please help thank you
You need to call out a plumber to protect your interest and verify what the inspector found. They typically only check city water and leaks and this does not mean there is something inside that is an issue.
they checked the house for leaks as per tenant
I did call out a plumber that did not find any leaks... my plumber came out after the city
Then it could support your findings and your obligation would be done. If the tenant is not satisfied they can hire someone on their own to get it inspected.
my plumber verified the cities findings... am I still responsible for the plumber I called because my tenants did not agree with the city
if you called out a plumber you would have to incur the cost. As I shared be city not checks their water and not to see anything inside the home so you would have needed to do that.
I just wanted to follow up and see if there is anything else I can answer or clarify. I am here to help so please let me know