Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I've been having an issue with my upstairs neighbor. They…

Customer Question
Thank you! I've been...

Thank you! I've been having an issue with my upstairs neighbor. They stomp around the house at all hours of the night, and their children run and jump on the floors up until 3am, almost every night. I have contacted my property manager every day that it happens, and have attempted to call our security guard, but nothing is being done. I can't sleep, nor can my children. I don't know what to do, and I don't know if there's anything I can do. I don't even want to be at my own apartment because I can't sleep It's almost inhabitable.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I have written emails with my property management team and I have even called the non-emergency line with the police department, but was advised if the officers don't hear it from outside, it's not considered a noise disturbance and will not knock on their door to talk to them

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

My fan looks like it will fall off the ceiling with the harshness of the running and stomping. Not only, but the gentleman has a gun that he doesn't know how to use, because he asked my fiancee to help him "fix it" and it doesn't have a safety as it is a revolver I live in Phoenix, Arizona. 9652 N 31st Ave, 85051

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They litter pretty frequently and it falls on our patio and we have found left over joints and blunt roaches from their marijuana use

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/14/2018
Lawyer: Jonathan Holson,
 replied 4 months ago
Jonathan Holson

Law enforcement should at least respond to the scene to determine if they can hear the upstairs family making noise. How are they able to make that judgment without coming to the scene. Additionally, you could report their marijuana use as well assuming that marijuana is still illegal in Arizona/Phoenix.

I was told that if you couldn't hear it from outside the door then they can't legally knock on the door to a file the complaint.
Lawyer: Jonathan Holson,
 replied 4 months ago

But did they actually come to the scene to listen to the noise?

Lawyer: Jonathan Holson,
 replied 3 months ago

Do you have any additional questions?