Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

We had to move from our rental in Colorado due to a job

We had to move...

We had to move from our rental in Colorado due to a job promotion and we moved about a month ago. The lease break fee was determined as 4200 which the landlord agreed to use our deposit as part of. We did a walk through the day before we moved and the landlord said everything looked good. Now almost a month later they are asking for a venmo payment for $750 worth of yardwork. Saying that we never raked or did lawn care. And that is trash and weeds? We haven't heard anything from them since we moved until now. They are saying there is trash, weeds and leaves. Is this something that sounds right?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Just normal lawn maintenance. When we moved in the lawn was patchy grass and weeds that had been mowed. We moved in summer and moved out in winter so the lawn does look different due to season

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that the landlord has not mentioned anything in almost a month. And that they are saying that there is $750 of work but the picture they sent is a few dead weeds a couple piles of leaves and some trash which was definitely not there a month ago and looks new....even though it has rained and snowed since we left.

3/14/2018
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

How far away did you move?

.

Was there anything in your lease that said you were responsible for maintaining/cleaning up the yard?

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We moved from Colorado to st. Louis for a promotion. And actually as I am looking through the lease I am not seeing anything about the lawn. Because of how fast I got promoted and had to move we asked if the 4200 lease break fee could include our deposit....they agreed as long as they could do a walk through before they said yes. They walked through the day before we moved and had numerous people there helping us move that heard them say everything looked good and we did go outside for both front and back. Now she is threatening to get a lawyer to make us pay another 2100 instead of using our deposit as agreed if I dont pay her $750.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can send the lease if that helps?

Ok, then first... if they wanted to try to sue you, they would have to come to St. Louis to file suit and get personal jurisdiction over you to get you served with a summons... so not going to happen..

.

And if you weren't responsible for anything other than mowing, then they can't hold you liable for any landscaping or yard clean up over any simple mowing.

.

This sounds like a cash grab from them as there is no way they are going to come all the way to MO to pursue this.. And they aren't going to hire an attorney for a few thousand to try and sue you for a several hundred... So this sounds like all bark and no bite here.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you mind looking at the lease to see if there is anything I am missing about lawn care? I would like to make sure before I tell her it is not in the lease

If you can attach it to the thread, I can take a look..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have tried to attach but it won't let me. I did read through the entire lease and it does have lawn care maintenance in the provision along with lease break provision. I missed it since it wasmy labeled in the main portion if the lease. So does that mean I do have to pay her $750 for weeding and raking? I will try and attach the pictures she sent today.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Im sorry I'm just frustrated since the walk through went well and now 3 and a half weeks later it something she wants.

Ok, she might be able to hold you liable for something....but that looks like maybe $100 worth of paying a couple guys to rake up stuff and bag it... There is no way that is $750...that is ridiculous..

.

So I might tell her that you want to see a receipt or bill from a professional lawn care service for the amount she is claiming or you will offer her $XXX...whatever you feel is reasonable, to resolve it.

.

Just keep in mind that even if you refused to do anything at all, it is incredibly unlikely that she would ever actually try to sue you for the reasons I have gone over..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The lease mentions arbitration does that look different than them suing? I have never had to deal with anything like this. Sorry I have so many questions. If they decided to go after the money how does arbitration work for us? It says we would have to agree on someone or get a judge to appoint one?

Arbitration is basically an informal arrangement where the parties sit down with a neutral 3rd party and try to settle it. If it is binding arbitration, the arbitrator's decision is legally binding on both sides.

.

And for you being out of state, I don't see them as realistically being able to force you to come back there to arbitrate.

.

And if you refused, they are back to having to try to sue..

barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
barristerinky
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney