Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have a tenant that I am working on evicting for nonpayment…

I have a tenant...

I have a tenant that I am working on evicting for nonpayment of rent. I received a text message on March 5th that she had moved out. Do I have the right to change the locks? The hearing date is on March 18th.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Maryland - Baltimore County

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

We do any maintenance that needs to be done but it is her responsibility to have the carpets cleaned and I don't see that happening.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just the simple question, can we change the locks. We have informed her that we will be there on Sunday to do a walkthrough.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Are you going after her for the rent or just to evict her?

At this point we want her out of the premises. She was supposed to be out February and did not leave or pay her rent. She sent me a text message on the 5th that she was out of the Townhouse even though the court date is the 19th.
We informed her we would be there for a walkthrough on Sunday if she would like to be there and would like to change the locks at that time.

Thank you. if she has vacated the rental and you can confirm this and she has removed her items and the rental is now vacant, you could enter and change the locks to secure it and may not even need or want to proceed. The issue is now moot. if she has vacated and is not there, there does not need to be a court order to evict, so unless you are going after her for rent, it would be at your discretion to proceed. You could go now if you wanted to inspect it and see if there but if not and nothing remains, there should not be an issue changing the locks.

What if she has left a lot of junk and mess but is not living there?

You have a text from her saying she has vacated, so you may want to then inform her of this and see if she is going to retrieve it or if you can dispose of it, so she does not try and come back and say you illegally removed it.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Thank you for your help. I just sent her a text message to please make sure all of her belongings are out of the house before the walk through. She is being very difficult even though the lease states we have the right to enter the premises without notice and have given her a weeks notice. Are we correct to assume that as of her notice that she had moved out, she is no longer a tenant?

You are welcome. Yes, if she has sent a text advising of the same, it would indicate she has vacated and moved out. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

LandlordTenantAnswer