Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I qualified into a Very Low Income Affordable Housing

Customer Question
Hello, I qualified into...

Hello, I qualified into a Very Low Income Affordable Housing Program apartment. after 1 year,at recertification, I was given 6 months to move out when my VA disability increased to total, moving my income over the threshold from Very Low to Low- I was told there never were any Low Income Units- that the apt complex was built with only Very Low and Moderate. My income is too low to qualify for going rate in Orange County, so, rather than be homeless again (I am a 57 year old disabled Veteran with breast cancer after mastectomy) I asked if I could stay if I pay the Moderate rate-I was told yes, though I my income is not high enough to qualify to pay the Moderate rate which is $1,892 - more than DOUBLE the $925 I should be paying for Low Income. Density Bonus Law seems unethical, allowing developers to, in addition to receiving the biggest incentives in the Very Low Income bracket, allows them to pull all the units out of the next Income Level up (which is Low Income), and doesn't at least close the gap, so people on a fixed income (elderly, disabled, handicapped) don't fall down the elevator shaft at the most vulnerable time of their life!!

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Thank you, ***** ***** California - also, I pressed before finishing: secondly, the the rent amount for Very Low ($831) and Low ($925) seems commensurate; then, the Moderate rate is ($1,892) - giant gap between Low and Moderate!...then, there IS no Low! Also, offering double the number of Very Low Income apartments, and a regular amount of Moderate changes the demographic of the area.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that I'm in a library because I cannot afford internet (or t.v.) in my apartment (because the majority of my disability income goes to pay my rent). I'm second generation American, served my country after the Vietnam war, after the government stopped the G I Bill, worked hard all my life at low wage jobs, never got to marry, started receiving my disability only recently, and am having to pay out over half of it for unfair rent, and now it will take a big move out of the area, that I moved to to take this apt near my daughter and cancer doctors to stop handing over the majority of my disability income because of Density Bonus Law, and the fact that when I took the apt, I was told I qualified for the lowest of THREE income categories! If I'd been told the truth-that there is Low Income and Moderate Income, and a gap in the middle, I would not have taken the apt. I have already handed over $18,000 extra in the last 18 months and I can't live my life

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 day by:
3/15/2018
Lawyer: Michelle-Mod, Moderator replied 4 months ago
Michelle-Mod
Michelle-Mod, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Michelle, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you!
Michelle~Moderator
Why hasn’t an attorney replied? Yes I still need help with this; when you say cancel, do you mean cancel my inquiry, or cancel the $5 membership? Is this a scam?
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am sorry for the delay, the experts are not site employees and have no control over when questions appear on their list. I sincerely ***** ***** the delay. I can also assure you this is no scam.

Unfortunately, those rates are set in the law and based on the available units, that is not something a lawyer can change for you.

So, what is your actual question about this for us?

Density bonus law allows developers to pull all the units out of the middle income category to supplement very low where they receive their biggest incentive so they’re taking funds from the affordable housing program meant for all three income categories but they’re not providing you’re not building units in the load or middle income category isn’t that A miss use of the original purpose of the affordable housing program and why didn’t they at least close that middle income category so there wouldn’t be an empty category for those people like myself who get their apartment and very low and then their disability income increases slightly putting them over the threshold into low density bonus law there something wrong with it it’s unethical it’s discrimination against one of the three income categories that the program was developed for to begin with and the developers are getting funds for their projects for in addition when I took my apartment in very low I was made to believe there were three income categories very low low and moderate and my income was in very low Obviously if I had been made aware that there were there was no low income was a category but no units were ever made available in it because of density bonus law I would not have taken the apartment to begin with knowing I’d have to move out after only one year please help

Thank you for your reply.

I did understand that and what the law allows them to do. However, I do not see what your actual question is for us. It is not discrimination because there is no protected class of "poor people" under the law. So we need to know the question for us legally, we can only answer based on the laws, not based on what customers may believe just is not right.