Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I live in Florida and signed a lease 2 weeks ago stating…

Hi, I live in...

Hi, I live in Florida and signed a lease 2 weeks ago stating pest control (roaches, rats, bedbugs etc) is our responsibility/ However, within a day of moving in we saw rats and holes that they are entering our apartment from. We sent the landlord a letter giving them 7 days to fix the holes allowing the rats in (after verbally asking) and they have not repaired the holes. After the 7 days can we legally move out and request our money back?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes

3/14/2018
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Is this a single family home?

.

.

thanks

it is

Ok, the weird thing about FL law is that it exempts the owners of single family homes and duplexes from having to take actions to exterminate infestations like rats and roaches..

.

FL 83.51

(2)(a) Unless otherwise agreed in writing, in addition to the requirements of subsection (1), the landlord of a dwelling unit other than a single-family home or duplex shall, at all times during the tenancy, make reasonable provisions for:

1. The extermination of rats, mice, roaches, ants, wood-destroying organisms, and bedbugs. When vacation of the premises is required for such extermination, the landlord is not liable for damages but shall abate the rent. The tenant must temporarily vacate the premises for a period of time not to exceed 4 days, on 7 days’ written notice, if necessary, for extermination pursuant to this subparagraph.

.

So as crazy as it sounds, if there are rats, the landlord is not responsible for extermination under FL law and that wouldn't give you legal grounds to terminate the lease without repercussions.

.

And FL is also unusual in that it doesn't require a landlord to try to re-rent. Landlord can just sit back and let the place sit vacant and then sue at the end of the lease for the full contract.

.

With that said, I would suggest that you call the local Code Enforcement office or Health Department and ask for an inspection. If they come out and inspect the place and then cite the owner ,he has to make the repairs or they will hold him responsible in court..

.

.

thanks

Okay but we didnt ask them for an exterminator/pest control just to fix the holes allowing the rodents in...is that considered the same thing?

You could argue that it was different if you terminate the lease and the landlord tried to sue, but the holes by themselves don't affect the habitability of the dwelling. So that wouldn't violate FL law. It is the rats coming through the holes that are the problem, and FL law won't make the landlord responsible for that in a single family home. I have no idea why the law is that way, as it seems it is easier for the landlord to maintain his property to be free of rodents and vermin, but that is how the law reads..

.

But to be honest with you, I just don't see a judge holding a tenant liable for vacating a place with a rat infestation..

barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Okay thank you.