Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My son lives in a 2 bedroom NYCHA apartment. Originally, he…

Customer Question
My son lives in a...
My son lives in a 2 bedroom NYCHA apartment. Originally, he resided with my sister, she married and moved out in Oct. 2017. At that time when he attempted to sign his new lease his housing assistant explained he’d need to sign a form stating he was requesting a transfer to a smaller apartment being only he is living there. He agreed! Now, his younger sister has been living with him for the last month as her school is less than a 1/2 mile away from his apartment. He went to the housing office and notified his housing assistant that he was trying to put her on the lease but the housing assistant explained she’d have to contact “I.T. Department” because there was an issue with his online access to attempt to just complete the basic recertification process and add his sister to the lease. Last week the assistant manager for the development contacted my son and told him he needs to come see a 1 bedroom apartment as his transfer was approved. He never explained that he was trying to put his sister on the lease. Is it an option to say he doesn’t want the smaller apartment or can they legally force him to move? Is it too late to add his sister to the lease? When he goes to see the apartment can he turn it down? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 day by:
3/15/2018
Lawyer: Wendy, Moderator replied 5 months ago
Wendy
Wendy, Moderator
I'm a moderator for this website. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you,
Wendy
Thank you for your response, I thought I had maybe done something wrong because I was charged but never got a response. I would still like to continue unless there isn’t anyone available to answer my question then of course I’ll take a refund.
Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 5 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

It should not be a problem to decide not to move but it depends on if NYCHA already had someone who was to take over the old apartment. Has your son talked to them about it yet?

Hello again:

I am checking in with you to see if you need further help. If you need more, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.