Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Can you advise me as to whether this email or letter is

appropriate and advisable and whether...
Can you advise me as to whether this email or letter is appropriate and advisable and whether it sounds threatening or whether you think relatively new landlords would be offended or become defensive because of it? I do not want to put then on the defensive, but I need to have help. Here is my letter:
3/12/2018
CarlettF

Hello! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for your question. I’m Carlett and I can help you today. I'll be back shortly with my reply!

Hi send me the letter so I can review it... it did not come through

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
doctors who advised me to never or as little as possible enter the house at***** O I have been to two doctors who advised me to never or as little as possible enter the house at***** One doctor told me he could smell me across the room when I went to Urgent Care to see him on Friday night after having spent apprxomately 2 to 4 hours in the house. He told me that my lungs need longer to recover than just one day, just like a broken leg; if you try to walk on it the next day, you will make it worse.I believe one of the chemicals used in the basement has a perfume smell that masks odors, because I at first noticed very pronounced moldy smells in the basement when I had moved the boxes away from the walls. This went on for several days. I was extremely surprised on one day to walk into the basement and smell no mold at all during the time I was moving boxes that day. Instead I smelled a perfume something like an air freshener.Then, shortly after that, I discovered I had been locked out of the basement after being told to finish moving my boxes out with no notice. I walked down to the door to start moving boxes again, and noticed a different doorknob and that the key I had would not work.I paid for a locksmith to open the door so that I could “do my duty” of continuing removing the boxes. I also called the L.A. Property Management Group and spoke with someone that I told about being locked out of the basement common room. I wonder if it has been erased from their records. Not sure, of course.I happened to log into the Tenant Portal several times over the last month or so, and each time I log in, I notice that the maintenance requests I I have written in many cases have been removed. I suppose that this puts a sort of pressure on the owners and could make me seem a pest. Perhaps I got carried away because I saw how quickly the company could get things fixed and thought, “Now is the time to report a few things that need some repair.”In a letter a few days ago sent by email by Mr. Jauregi I was informed that I was writing too many maintenance requests. I think they could be spaced out over a year or so, but I would like to make them a permanent record on the website, in case I would face some penalty for not reporting these things. I wonder if the maintenance requests have been erased.On March 5, a workman and Mr. Jauregi at 9:00 am arrived and went into the basement and approximately a half hour later Mr. Jauregi left. At approximately 12-1:30, I believe the workman left, having remained in the basement between 9:00 am and 12-1:30 pm. I did happen to see him sitting on the basement steps approximately 12-12:30 p.m., looking at his mobile phone.I began to smell perfumed air with a sort of chemical smell coming into the house. I thought it seemed mild. I remained in the house and did various things. Later, at about 5:00 to 7:00 pm, the smells and their effect on me became intense, and I realized it was unsafe to stay in the house any longer, and I would have to get a hotel. I experienced a rapid heartbeat, something in my lungs, so that I was afraid to breathe the air, shortness of breath, dizziness, losing my balance. Because I was having my automobile worked on, I was without a car to drive that day, a friend took me to the Vagabond Inn on Colorado. I have receipts for this. I returned to the house the following day toward the evening, and, again, when darkness fell, the fumes intensified so much that I feared for my health and left quickly. I again stayed at the Vagabond. I have been staying at hotels ever since.I am concerned that I wasn’t given notice of use of chemicals being used in the basement, and I wrote to inquire what the name of the chemicals are. However, Mr. Jauregi denies that any chemicals whatsoever were used, from what I understand.However, I feel I have been virtually evicted without even a day’s notice because of the dangerous condition that started to exist on March 5, 2018. I will have to find a way to survive financially now having spent approximately 120 a day in hotel bills, average.The basement and the house seem to have a joint heating system, but I am not sure. Possibly these fumes are so gaseous, they naturally flow upward, and that is why they have penetrated so thoroughly into the house, especially the living room/dining area where there is a large air vent in the half wall/divider between the entry/dining area and the fireplace/living room area. There is also a lot of concentration of these strong chemicals in the area of the kitchen by the back door. Also, I notice the closet has some very strong odor towards the back. The bedroom, I aired out for a period of days, and it is not as strong. The bathroom seems the safest for air quality, so far.My symptoms are shortness of breath, so short that one evening when I called the Vagabond to make reservations, I could only speak out
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I pasted the letter into the box, but something happened, and it would not send it. I think the letter was too long, so I tried To send it Every way I could, and I think I personally erased the beginning of the letter and other little spot or two here
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Second half
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My symptoms are shortness of breath, so short that one evening when I called the Vagabond to make reservations, I could only speak out half a sentence at a time. For some reason, I do not notice the lungs burning or kind of about to start burning, like a sort of “menthol” feeling in the lungs until going outside and breathing fresh air. The slight burning in the lungs doesn’t manifest until I go outside. Then I start feeling something in the lungs. All of my clothing and everything in the house have been being permeated with this chemical smell and mold smell since Monday, March 5. So, I definitely would need some sort of remediation and/or replacement of carpet, draperies, and some method of cleaning clothing, walls, ducts, furniture, I would think. This stuff just reeks in my clothes which have now been exposed to this gas since March 5, 2018.The fumes in the house are still present to this day, and I believe if you were to enter the house, and spend upwards of an hour there, your clothes would reek from the permeation of the chemical into them that must have been used in the basement. Mr. Jauregi denies that these chemcials or any chemical was used at all.The day that I received the key for the basement in the mail, Friday, March 9, I had been locked out of the basement since Monday March 5 — I entered the basement, and it smelled once again like a fragrance used as air freshener. However, the following day, Saturday, the smell of mold had returned. It now has a strong odor of mold again.The fact that I was locked out of the basement twice by a placing of a different lock on the door with no explanation or notice, indicates to me that there was reason to try to keep me out of the basement. So, I feel it necessary to ask: Why keep me out of an empty basement? Why wouldn’t the door be open so it could air out? Why would this be? Is it because strong chemicals had been applied and it was unsafe to enter and breathe the air in the basement?In the past week as I have returned to the house, in my opinion, the house smells as bad as the basement did when I was working there to remove the boxes there.Prior to March 5, clothing that I wore in the basement when packing boxes smelled strongly of mold. My hands felt strange in that my skin on my hands was extremely dry, and almost nothing would take the strange dryness away.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Third part:
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Later, after the boxes were moved out, on March 5, and thereafter, clothing I wore for approximately a half hour to four hours in the house reeked and was permeated with a strong chemical penetrating odor. One day, after being at the house for a few hours, I went to the hotel room and laid down on the bed, placing my head on the pillow, thinking I would take a nap. After a while, I felt so much irritation from the smell of the clothing, that I took them off and took a shower, washed my hair and changed clothes. I noticed when I went back near the bed, the strong chemical odor had permeated the sheets, pillow, and so on. I thought I would sleep in the same bed that night, and I actually started to do that. But the smell was bad. I tried sleeping next on the right side, in the same bed, but it was too strong a smell and too concerning. but fortunately this room had two double beds, and once I noticed how strong the odor was, I switched over to the other double bed.
Clothing I wore on Saturday while at the house I placed in a plastic bag, and I packed it in my suitcase next to a night shirt in a plastic bag which I tied closed. When I opened my suitcase and put on the nightshirt, the nightshirt reeked so badly that I could not wear it. This penetration of my clothing with a strong odor happens to clothing I wear in the house each time I go there. More or less strong in intensity depending on how long I stay.When moving boxes out, each day, after I got to the point of moving the boxes away from the walls, I spent the next day resting and feeling unable to get much of anything done. I felt ill. Apparently, the walls were putting more mold into the air after I got the boxes away from the walls.I hae been feeling ill for at least since 2013. Doctors could attest to that. I read on the internet that people who have weakened immune systems should not expose themselves to mold, because it can affect them worse than people who are more healthy.I have have stayed at a hotel for from the 5th of March until now. Today is Sunday, March 11, 2018.The renter in the back has been hinting that he wants to live in my rental house that you rent to me. I wonder if you would fix this situation for him so that he could move in, but you would not fix it for me even though I am the present renter. I have shared details of the environment inside the house. He has more legal resources than I seem to be able to find at such short notice. I am sure he would have everything under control quickly and everyone would be happy, but, as for me, I am in a very difficult position, having to find legal advice for a situation that is costing me so much money.
Josie-Mod
I am Josie, a moderator for this topic.
The Expert who initially responded is unable to continue to assist with this question.
I sent your requested Expert, Attorney Dan, a message to follow up with you when he is back online.
There is no need to re-post or re-list your question.
LegalDan
LegalDan, Attorney

Thank you for sending me the letter - I think that you need to focus on the expenses you have incurred and the treatment of you by the landlord. What is your hope with this letter? Just to inform them of what is going on? Or to receive reimbursement?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Two doctors tell me not to go back into the building/house. I hired an environmental assessment done. The mold is extremely strong in the house along with a chemical permeation of my clothing Extremely notable after removing them and going to pick them up again to place them somewhere or having placed them in a plastic bag. What I am trying to say is that the place is just not habitable. I have been living in a hotel since March 5. As far as I can tell, they are calling it good, but I believe the environmental assessment will show leakage from pipes is indicated. I want to have the mold remediated. I believe the carpet and the drapes and the walls in my possessions have to be cleaned. I read it that I must wear a respirator and protective clothing in order to do that. I thought that it would be easily recognized that I cannot live in the house because of the extreme chemical and mold smell that rose up from the basement after some kind of treatment was applied. I thought this management company would function According to what I hoped it would be standard operating procedures in a case like this, but it seems like it isn’t happening, and I have spent quite a bit of money trying to stay elsewhere.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would love to be sure that this property will be safe for me to live in and or anyone else who would come in next. I don’t believe that would be through at this time even though they seem to have abandoned any further remedy and also have abandoned me
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I believe that the maintenance supervisor has a prejudice against tenants will try to get money for displacement and so on. The landlords are branded knew having inherited their father’s property. I want to in a kind and congenial fashion communicate to them what is really going on. I am not sure they will actually get my communication, as it has to go through the maintenance supervisor. But if it does go through the maintenance supervisor, Then they would be able to read my dilemma and requests and hopefully work with me to do something better than what has already been done to me.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The maintenance supervisor/others in at the management company have erased and eliminated several maintenance requests I wrote within the last month on their online portal for tenants. So I would not put it past him to modify emails I have written to him that he cleans are directly sent to the owners. I think this needs to be escalated to a lawyer to lawyer level. However, I have not even spoken with or gotten permission from the owners to get a Certified mold inspector/inspection/remediation done. I did not have permission to get a environmental assessment performed either. But I have done it. It is necessary to do it immediately because the fumes me somewhat abate making me look foolish And dishonest.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
cleans. =claims
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The maintenance supervisor at fittingly is a type A personality. He actually can be very fair minded, but he probably thinks he has to jerk tenants around because of the baddies that he has had to deal with.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I feel that he would and has probably prejudiced the owners against me, judging from the abusive way he has spoken to me and some of the underhanded tactics he has used. I just think I’m supposed to get this across to the owners, so they can make a decision without this man making me seem like a dishonest and money grubbing person
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I seen that money grubbing I didn’t mean to, I thought this was protocol in a situation like this, we are at the house that I live in is dangerous for my health.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
8220;We are” = where
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Delete “at”

You do not seem money grubbing at all - This letter is accomplishing exactly what you want it to. Making people aware of the problems that are going on. If those problems are not fixed you can take legal action. And that is how I would end your letter.

LegalDan
LegalDan, Attorney
LegalDan
LegalDan
LegalDan, Attorney