Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I've been renting for a little over 3 and 1/2 years at same…

Customer Question
Hi, I've been renting...

Hi, I've been renting for a little over 3 and 1/2 years at same place, leaving soon. At beginning of the lease landlord required security deposit and last month's rent. Rent at the time was 720, and is now 765. She has asked for 45 dollars to meet the difference. I began searching the laws because this seemed ridiculous. I found in the PA landlord-tenant act Section 250.511b that they are required to put these deposits in escrow and give written notification of which bank. They did not do this. They are also supposed to pay the tenant interest accrued after 2 years. They did not do this. The law does not have penalties written that I can find. Do I have any actions I can take or remedies in this situation?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Erie, Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

I'm not sure what you mean by terms, but maintenance has been mostly okay. The stove smells like gas for a minute when it is turned on, and we told the landlord 2 years ago. His English is very poor and we eventually just dropped it due to lack of communication

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/12/2018
Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Infolawyer, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

There is no basis for the increase. also, the deposit needs to be escrowed with notice to tenant. You may pursue that by direct demand or lawyer demand.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well that's the part I'm having trouble with. If it turns out they have never deposited it, am I entitled to anything? Do I file a small claims, and for what damages? Or do I report them to some sort of authority?

You could pursue the matter. It could be pursued in small claims court for the balance not accrued and failure to give notice.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What are the damages for failure to give notice? That's the part I'm having trouble finding. I cannot find any penalties prescribed by law

It is not regulated in such manner, and within court discretion. Some courts impose a percentage of the deposit above the balance.

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer