Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Is a home considered unsafe if the floor is sagging in and…

is a home considered unsafe...
is a home considered unsafe if the floor is sagging in and the power breaker box has no cover in a rental home
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hi thanks
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can you see my question

Yes, it is possible. There could be a code violation, if there is no cover on the breaker box but this is something which the landlord should be able to quickly fix, once on notice. Now, as far as the floor, it would need to be inspected and determined if this was a safety issue and if the flooring was structurally sound. There is a difference between the floor bending a little and an issue where it could collapse, so if the landlord will not inspect it, you can also call the city and report this and see if they could come out to look at it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I spoke with you on yesterday about the water problem . so now the land lord is quickly making repairs to the house I believe he is going to file eviction papers. who do I contact about coming out to inspect the house for safety and structural soundness I in charlotte nc

You would contact the county/city and advise them that you are a tenant and have questions on the rental and if it is up to code and if it is safe and if they can send someone out to inspect. What county are you in?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Mecklenburg ccounty

You can contact them and see if they can come out and assist with this.

http://charlottenc.gov/HNS/Code/Pages/default.aspx

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
also is there a way to get a record of calls to a certain number . and are regular everyday
phone calls recorded

That would be something that would need to be obtained via court order, as the phone provider will not just release those and they need to be subpoenaed. If it is relevant, the Judge can order that these be released and turned over.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what do you think about the land lord now coming in making all these major repairs. like I said my water bill is 800 dollars for two months and I did not pay rent because of this water problem

I think you have a basis to demand that they pay for the water bill, as a result of their failure to act and make these repairs and allow this to go on but I think you have an issue with the withholding of rent, I am sorry to say.

If you are a tenant and your landlord will not make repairs required under specific housing, fire, and health codes and the Residential Rental Agreements Act, DO NOT WITHHOLD RENT PAYMENTS.

North Carolina law does not allow tenants to withhold rent payments in this or any other way, with two exceptions: when the landlord consents to it in writing or when a judge or civil magistrate allows you to withhold rent pursuant to a court order.

You can try and settle this and advise the landlord that now that it is fixed, you will bring the rent current and see if they will agree to pay a portion of the water bill.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok if they were trying to evict me for non payment they have to serve me and I should have 10 days to comply and if I don't then the eeviction process will begin am I correct for nc law
Correct. A 10 day notice to cure and pay would need to be given before they can file for eviction. If you paid it that would resolve it and they could not proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can they refuse to take it if they do then could I just get a money order it would have the date purchased on it
That would be in bad faith and they can not do that. Once they give the notice you are allowed to cure and pay what is owed. If they refused you would have a defense to the eviction if it was for unpaid rent.
LandlordTenantAnswer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ty
LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney