Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I am at the end of a commercial lease. i have been hoping to…

Hello, I am at the end...
I am at the end of a commercial lease. i have been hoping to get a lease to sign for some time from my land lord. They finally gave me a lease to sign on friday 3/9. i found a place i would rather rent today, 3/11. do i owe them any notice? i assumed that at thhe end of alease, no notice was necessary, but looking at it right now, it looks like maybe i do owe them some notice. when i was first handed the proposed lease from them a couple months ago, i had a lot of questions, and requests, and their response to all of them was no, you can't have those things, now sign the lease by friday or we have to begin marketing the space. i told them eventually, 'es i was ready to sign the llease" and then was not given a lease until 2 days ago. if normally i would need to give them notice, can i ask for changes to the lease and refuse to sign without those changes? and ten when they say sign as is or you don't get a lease, can i say, 'ok then, i don't want a lease?' thank you.
3/12/2018
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Did you sign the new renewal lease yet?

.

Does your current lease state you have to give advance notice that you aren't renewing, like 30 or 60 days?

.

.

thanks

Hi Barrister, i did not yet sign a lease. My present lease does not say i need to give 30 or 60 days notice. The only affirmation i gave about the lease is via email. They sent me a lease. I asked for some changes. They said no. Then i
asked for some other changes. They said no and said, ‘we need to know soon or we will have to market the space.’ I sent back an email saying ok, i am ready ro sign the lease. And then i didnt see a lease for about 3-4 weeks, maybe more. Then a lease was provided on friday. I have not yet signed it.

Ok, good, then you aren't legally bound to anything at this point and are free to just say no. But that would mean that if they won't negotiate with you on modified terms, you would have to vacate when the lease expires or they could immediately file a formal eviction action in court to get a judgment and writ that would force you to vacate.

.

So you aren't bound at all right now..

.

.

thanks

barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
That is pretty great news. Thank you. I was looking online earlier and it sounded like i may owe them a notice. I am glad to hear otherwise. Thanks Barristerinkey! Have a great Sunay evening!
Sunday
I read something that says if not stated, the default is a periodic tenancy. And 30 days may ne required. ...it is a chat from 2009 though. I am just double checking that this is not the case.

If there is nothing in the written lease that requires advance notice you won't renew, then the lease simply expires on its last day and if you haven't agreed to continue the tenancy, you just vacate..

.

So you don't have a periodic tenancy, you have a fixed term tenancy that is nearing its end.. With that said, if your tenancy has already expired, and you have continued to pay rent, then you are a month to month tenant by default now and would have to give 30 days notice to terminate the tenancy.

that is the best! thank you for your time!

Thank you very much for the positive rating and generous bonus, it is greatly appreciated!