Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Do you have to give a thirty day notice starting from the…

Do you have to...

Do you have to give a thirty day notice starting from the beginning of the month or does it matter ad long as it's thirty days

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is the property located in? And has anyone consulted a local attorney about this?

New Jersey, owner occupied three family house

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

The lease has expired. The apartment has to be left the same way when tenant moved in

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Are owner occupied allowed to charge any am out of security for their apartment? My security was $5000. 00 Dollars

3/11/2018
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good afternoon,

Month to month leases are basically a series of mini one month leases that are automatically renewed unless one party gives notice to the other of their intention and desire not to renew the lease. It is based on full calandar month leases; not divided into partial months (unless specifically agreed to by the parties). Therefore, what really matters is what month you give notice in, not what day of the month you do so. Either landlord or tenant may provide a written notice to the other party that indictaes that they do not wish to renew the lease at the end of the month following the month in which notice is being given. So the term "30 day notice" is a little misleading. You really need to give notice before the start of the next 1 month term, in order to prevent the automatic 1 month renewal for the following month.

So, if you give notice on let's say April 3, you cannot move out on May 3rd. You'd be responsible for April and May, but could move out and not be responsible for rent beginning with the full month of June.

RobertJDFL, Attorney
RobertJDFL, Attorney