Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

We are trying to lease a tax office in the same building…

We are trying to...

We are trying to lease a tax office in the same building that was/is used to run against an incumbent mayor who will stop at nothing to shut us down. Is it legal for the mayor to use his office to hinder us from obtaining our business license if we met all the legal requirements, passed inspection and is in a mixed zone area for commercial/residential use?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Illinois and the city of Dolton

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We have filed for a business license but we were shut down by the police for operating the business while our license was pending. We paid the fines for operating without a license but it’s been over 30 Days as the mayor will stop at nothing to see we never operate.

Can a municipality keep a business closed that was found operating without a license after the business paid its fines and fees to be reinstated?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/12/2018
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

If you receive a phone call offer, kindly disregard the offer. The offer is being made to you automatically by the site and not by me. Also, I do not participate in the phone call program.

Your Question:

Response: No, it is not legal. If the Mayor is interfering with your application for permit, then that would be abuse of office and abuse of public trust. You can file complaint against the Mayor with your District Attorney's Office for possible prosecution.

You can also file lawsuit against the Mayor to stop this inference.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

This response made my day! I’m so pleased and satisfied with his answe!

You are quite Welcome!

Kindly use the popup to give your 5-star rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Have a wonderful day!

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law