Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Can I sue my landlord for moving expenses?

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
legalgems
legalgems, attorney

Good Day!A few minutes please as I review your question so I can provide you with legal information. Thanks!

If the landlord is in breach of the contract and that results in the tenant having to move then the tenant may sue for reasonably foreseeable and proximately caused damages;

this typically includes:

1. moving expenses

2. storage expenses if applicable

3. the difference in the rent due under the lease and any increase under the new lease, for the duration of the original lease, provided the tenant exercised due diligence to find a comparable unit for a comparable price.

Can you recommend a certified licensed environmental assessment company

Unfortunately we can't provide referrals but if you contact the county's building inspector they may be able to provide a referral.

Thank you. Do you know The contact information for the environmental assessment group that investigates habitability in the city of Los Angeles, for the city. I believe they are part of a city operation. An attorney recommended I call them because they will come out and assess your environment as a city service. I believe they could give me the name of someone Who could do this work for me

Certainly; here is that information:

http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/eh/AreasofInterest/housing.htm

That will help establish whether the unit is habitable.

Thank you. An attorney told me that the group above will not come out to assess in Pasadena, because they only work in the City of Los Angeles. I am considering paying about 1600 dollars to have an additional environmental assessment, which is just taking swabs and air samples, testing for mold and chemicals. I am considering whether it would be better simply to call CMR — a mold remediation specialist, certified Mold Remediation specialist and have them remediate it at the same time, so it just gets done well and quickly instead of trying to prove the situation. It’s obviously moldy, in my opinion. Am I wasting money just getting an environmental assessment for air quality when I should just get the job started, or fully investigated for things like leaky pipes, and so on, finding the sources? I feel the Supervisor of Maintenance in the Management Company is sneaky and underhanded in several instances, and I thought maybe two assessments would be wise, since he possibly would have a way to influence a competing air quality assessment.
Thank you. An attorney told me that the group above will not come out to assess in Pasadena, because they only work in the City of Los Angeles. I am considering paying about 1600 dollars to have an additional environmental assessment, which is just taking swabs and air samples, testing for mold and chemicals. I am considering whether it would be better simply to call CMR — a mold remediation specialist, certified Mold Remediation specialist and have them remediate it at the same time, so it just gets done well and quickly instead of trying to prove the situation. It’s obviously moldy, in my opinion. Am I wasting money just getting an environmental assessment for air quality when I should just get the job started, or fully investigated for things like leaky pipes, and so on, finding the sources? I feel the Supervisor of Maintenance in the Management Company is sneaky and underhanded in several instances, and I thought maybe two assessments would be wise, since he possibly would have a way to influence a competing air quality assessment. That is, maybe he would get somebody to prepare a false assessment.
Before doing the repair and deduct remedy to rectify uninhabitable premises the tenant first must provide notice to the landlord so they have an opportunity to repair. So if remedial action is taken before doing the notice requirements the court may determine the landlord has no obligation to reimburse.
What constitutes proper notice?
That is not defined so the judge uses the "reasonable notice" standard.
Please seelandlordbook/repairs.shtmlSo it would depend on the circumstances and the court's interpretation of what is reasonable.
The proper url ishttp://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/repairs.shtml
it is a gamble. Can an attorney write up a perfect fail proof method of notifying the landlord of repairs that should be made before attempting to make the repairs?
As it is, I probably could buy a motorhome, use the motorhome to live in and possibly save on the housing that I need in the interim because I could sell the motorhome later. Rather than just throwing money down the drain to live in a hotel or rent another place
I think that this will be very involved because the chemicals used to “treat the mold” have permeated the drapes carpet clothing and put some layer of something probably on every surface of the entire house inside. That would Require cleaning of drapes, replacement of 10-year-old carpet, cleaning and painting walls, furniture replacement – which is just old sofa and chairs. I bought them cheap at a garage sale, some were gifts, hand me downs. Some furniture was inherited. Some paintings. How will they be cleaned? What will constitute a safe dwelling? What actually has to be done? That might be expensive just to find an expert on that. Then you have to find experts who can come in wearing proper clothing and are wearing respirators as I read somewhere there in what I read today. I wonder how much that could cost?
All this would have to be accomplished for the next renter, or they could suffer health problems. I would like to see it done right as a citizen of this world. If I pay ahead, surely I will be blessed in the future. If I leave someone else to suffer and die in a chemically contaminated house, how could that be good? Just because they think it’s OK even though it does have a strong chemical smell, maybe they were attributed to paint When actually it could be a life-threatening chemical that would produce cancer.
What I meant to say above is perhaps a new renter would attribute the chemical smell to a freshly painted house with the scent of fresh paint, but instead the person would be possibly made very ill.
Unfortunately I cannot say what would be required as that would require a mold remediation expert. But an attorney can write a letter and state that the repairs need to be done within a certain specified time frame. A local attorney may be able to provide an estimation of what a reasonable time frame is based on the particular judge's past rulings.
legalgems
legalgems, attorney
Thanks.