Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Can a business landlord put a lien on a personal house of…

Can a business landlord...

Can a business landlord put a lien on a personal house of tenant that is in default on business rent. Tenant is C Corp with personal guarantee.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Does the landlord have a judgment against the guarantor?

Has a lien actually been filed on the guarantor's residence?

No and no. Tenant is not in default as of now.

Thank you for the additional information.

If the tenant is a C Corp then only the corporate assets would be subject to attachment for any breach in the lease.

With the addition of a personal guarantor, their personally owned assets are likewise at risk, pursuant to the guaranty they signed for the tenant's obligations under the lease.

The landlord would not have any summary rights to lien the home of the guarantor, though. They would need a judgment against the guarantor first.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I see that you've opted out your original expert.

Because the tenant signed a personal guarantee, the landlord has a right to sue him personally to collect any unpaid judgment. The landlord CANNOT put a lien on the house to ensure payment of the rent in advance unless the tenant specifically signed something that authorized it. You may want to check your lease and anything else you signed to be sure.

In the event that the tenant fails to pay, the landlord can choose to sue for the amounts owed. That judgement can be used to put a lien on the tenant's home. The landlord cannot place a lien without either that judgment or the tenant's written consent. North Carolina law provides that the first $35,000 of equity in a person's home is exempt from being taken to pay a debt. N.C. Stat., Section 1C-601. That means he cannot foreclose the lien unless you have more than $35,000 in equity. As a practical matter, most people don't try to foreclose a lien unless there's enough equity available to pay the judgment in full, because it costs money.

Have I answered your question? Please let me know if there is anything I can clarify or expand on for you.

Thank you for the info. If the house was sold before a judgment or lien can the net profit on a house sell be used as collateral.
Also if the tenant declares bankruptcy, do all the judgements apply

The tenant could choose to use cash from the sale of a house as collateral by signing a document and putting the money into a separate account. They could also choose to use the house as collateral if they didn't want to have to sell it. If a tenant believed a judgment was coming, they could sell the house. The landlord would be allowed to file documents trying to block the sale.

Depending on the type of bankruptcy and how many assets the tenant has, it might allow him to discharge some or all of the judgment. Filing for bankruptcy would also automatically pause any legal action the landlord had taken against the tenant.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney