Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Sorry have had a crazy past week or so since Ive been on.

Customer Question
I've found a decent place...
Sorry have had a crazy past week or so since Ive been on. I've found a decent place to stay for now and it's good because no one on the opposing side knows where I am. And you have been a huge help thank you very much. I will rate after I submit this and I have another question. I got a call from a police officer claiming to work for the Montgomery county Constable's office and said he has papers he needs to serve me and my wife and I told him I couldn't make it down to the Constable's office until Monday afternoon and I've been thinking, if I'm already moved out, they can't evict me and they have no reason to serve me papers. Correct? What happens if I don't show on Monday at the Constable's office? They can't arrest me can they? Because I'm not violating any laws, im already out of my parents house and have been for 2 weeks now
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/11/2018
Lawyer: legalgems, attorney replied 5 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, attorney

Good Day!A few minutes please as I review your question so I can provide you with legal information. Thanks!

If a tenant has already vacated then there would be no cause for an eviction; however the owner may sue for past rent, or for damages to the property.

If one does not show they cannot be arrested unless a warrant is issued; however the court may order that the person be responsible for any additional costs in serving the party which would be necessitated by a failure to appear for service.

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.