Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I am a potential tenant who is a combat veteran. I have an…

I am a potential...

I am a potential tenant who is a combat veteran. I have an emotional support animal. I contacted a potential landlord and explained the situation. Of which they responded with their requirements. Those requirements were a 3k security deposit and to meet with my medical provider. Furthermore this apartment was advertised on public media. Is this legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

PA

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

One year lease then month to month.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's all

3/11/2018
LegalDan
LegalDan, Attorney

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help - I need to know a few things first. Is the apartment complex less than 4 units? Is it a single family home?

it's a single family home
Does the fair housing apply in this matter?

Unfortunately, because it is a single family home that you will be renting the FHA does not apply. This means that a landlord has the right to ask for proper documentation for your emotional support animal to prove you are in need of its service. This document is in the form of an ESA letter from your medical professional which includes licensed therapists, psychologists, and psychiatrists. Your family doctor cannot prescribe you an ESA since they are not considered a licensed mental health professional. In addition, the documented letter must be signed and printed using your mental health professional’s official letterhead. Also, they do have the right to deny you from renting because of your ESA.

Ok thanks.

I wish I had better news for you - Thank you for your service - can you please rate me with 5 stars

Even though they advertised it? Because according to title 42 3606 if they use a broker or advertise it the law applies to them. Am I not reading that right?

because it is a single family home the law does not apply

ok one last question, if the housing contains more than apartment the law does apply? For instance if was a duplex?

The law would not apply - The law does not apply to complexes with 4 or less units

Can you please rate my answer with 5 stars

LegalDan
LegalDan, Attorney