Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Need help with commercial lease and sublease in California…

Need help with commercial lease...
Need help with commercial lease and sublease in California
3/11/2018
Infolawyer, Attorney
what can I answer for you?
I have a commercial lease (Simple standard lease about 8 pages) in San Francisco, 10 years lease, small cafe. about 4 years ago I let two people run the cafe and they would giving me a fix amount every month, our agreement was for me to supply the facility including equipment, licences, and any repair and they would give me a fix amount every month, the cafe had all the permits and business licence and beer and wine licence under my business name, we have no written contract,about a year after their start, they changed the business name and the concept, without changing the licences to their business name, they started contacting the landlord, now the landlord likes to deal with them directly, I have three more years left on the lease with 10 years option, I had owed $15k back rent from beginning of the lease and landlord did not ask for it, I assumed they will not charge the $15k, now the landlord wants the $15k and told me if i donn't pay the $15k she will cancel the lease and deal with the two guys directly, she has also told me that I did not have the right to sublease to them, six months ago the landlord asked for the information on the two guys and she gave me an addendum with the name of the two guys in it.
My questions are:
Is it legal for the landlord to cancel the lease after I pay her the $15k.
what kind of legal ground do I have with the landlord.
Is it legal for the two guys and landlord make a lease contract and force me out.
Thank you so much for your help.
Landlord can only cancel your lease on showing to a court of a breach of lease by non payment of rent. Unless that happens landlord cannot act as you inquired and would need to wait for end of term and not renew. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
since the two guys are using my business licence and beer and wine licence how long of a notice i have to give them to move out of the business.
thank you.
If there is no written agreement, 30 day notice. I would have eviction counsel handle locally in case they don’t leave voluntarily. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Infolawyer, Attorney
Irwin Law
Phone call session started