Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Is it leagle to raise a Tenant’s rent before the lease is up…

Is it leagle to raise...
Is it leagle to raise a Tenant’s rent before the lease is up if they have been with me over a year ?
My rent is below the market value for some of my properties and I’m not sure how to approach this situation because I will be asking for a couple hundred dollar or more for each person.
3/10/2018
Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Other
Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist.Under the circumstances, if the lease has not had expired, you can send notice that the rent will be raised at the end of the term, but you can't actually collect it until the lease runs it's course. Sending notice early ensured that the when the lease expires, there is no gap between collecting the old rent and collecting the preferred rent.I hope this helps. If you need additional information or clarification, just let me know and I will continue to provide assistance. If I have answered your question, please remember to leave a positive rating where indicated, as that is the only way attorneys on this site are compensated for the help we provide.Good luck!Best,
Attorney 1
what happens if a tenant doesn't want to pay the rental increase and says they need time to find another place and don't want to pay.
The tenant would have to give 30 days notice before moving out. If they give 30 days notice and leave when the lease expires, they owe nothing more. You can then raise the rent for the next tenant. If they stay because they need more time to pay, they will have to pay the higher rent if proper notice is given. If they don't pay the higher rent after proper notice, you can file an action in court and effect them if you choose to do so. If you choose not to raise the rent, they will continue to pay the same amount on a month-to-month basis and will still have to give 30 days notice before they leave.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you. I'm here to help.

If the answer provided sufficiently addressed your inquiry, please take a moment to rate the response, accordingly. Five star ratings are especially appreciated. Thank you.

Best,
Attorney 1

Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Other