Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Michigan - My nephew rented a property from a friend whose…

Customer Question
Michigan - My nephew...

Michigan - My nephew rented a property from a friend whose mother had passed, there was no lease only a verbal agreement to pay property taxes, electric,gas and water bills which were in the deceased name, per request of the friend and to make any necessary repairs needed. He since found out that the property is now in probate and the water company will not allow him to put water service in his name even with a deposit. They will disconnect the service on 3/19/18. Is there any recourse? He will be unable to stay there without water which was paid every month on time even according to their records..

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The assessor's and water company told us it was in probate and been assigned to an attorney

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can't think of anything else he would like to have time to move it that is what he must do but he still need utilities.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 2 days by:
3/12/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

All your son's friend needs to do is get a copy of the death certificate, send it to the water company and have the water bill put in his name. This sort of thing happens all the time.

We went to our city's county register of deeds and probate office and was informed that they show no listing of the house being in probate. The deceased son lives out of state and we have not be able to contact him. It is somewhat perplexed that this information would be at the water company but not at the county offices. The property taxes were paid in my nephew's name and he is on the account with the electric/gas company. Last week we asked the water company to give him more time and he was only give 1 week,
which put him at he 3/19 date.

That is perplexing... but a death certificate would likely fix the situation - whether the son or the executor or someone else is able to obtain it