Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I am a tenant for an apartment in Columbus Ohio. My last…

Hi i am a tenant...
Hi i am a tenant for an apartment in Columbus Ohio. My last check i paid didn't go through, therefore the leasing office can only get money order from me as payment.Before i knew about this i had dropped a check in the Dropbox as usual for this month. Following was a letter from the rental office stating that they can accept my check and instead they need payment in form of Money Order. A day letter i bought a money order and dropped it in the same Dropbox and now the leasing office claims they didn't get it.I bought this Money Order though Money gram. after calling Money gram it has been stated that the Money order was cashed 3 days after it was dropped.Now the leasing office doesn't want to take responsibility that the money order was stolen from their own Dropbox and the have instructed me to issue another payment. I am seeking legal advice.
3/9/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Once the landlord takes possession of the check then it is their responsibility. This is especially true if they have directed the use of a dropbox. It is their obligation to make sure it is secure.

That said, you will need to be able to prove you left the check in the dropbox and that may be difficult.

It would help if you can show that other tenants had their checks stolen as well.

Did the landlord make a police report?

Thank you. I don't think they have filed a police report yet. I recall a time where the box was invaded and contents were stolen. Instead they are giving me a few days to vacate the house if i wont make the payment. I am yet to meet them again this afternoon. What would be my best approach?

They can not evict you without a forcible detainer and an order from the court. You can make your own police report and file an unlawful eviction claim against them, but you will need to be able to prove you deposited the check in their lockbox.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Lawyer
Thank you. so much

You are very welcome. Thank you for using JA.