Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have a question regarding Illinois tenant law. I was told…

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question regarding Illinois tenant law

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

I was told my someone that if we have a place that is condemned we are able to recover all the money we paid in rent. Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

We have had ongoing mold issues water coming into our property window locks not installed etc

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We had a theft in the property because of the window locks not being on

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/8/2018
Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 4 months ago
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

i was told my someone that if we have a place that is condemned we are able to recover all the money we paid in rent.

.

You would be entitled to sue for a refund of any rent from the point the property was condemned, but not before that.

.

The way to get repairs or have the property condemned is to contact the local Code Enforcement office and request an inspection of the property. They will come out and then cite the owner for any repairs and violations and force them to fix things. However, if the property was actually condemned, that means it is not fit for human habitation and you would have to leave immediately and move out to a hotel at the landlord's expense until they make repairs and the place is cleared for occupancy.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

OK so if we have been telling him there are issues with mold and water and nothing has been fixed we should have called code enforcement before this?
anything we can do about the window lock issue with theft
do you think landlord in this instance would refund anything for all the issues we have had?
Our lease is up this month and we want to move out ASAP

we should have called code enforcement before this?

.

Yep.

.

.

Code says all windows and doors have to be able to be secured.. That means you can force them to fix them, but only the criminal is criminally responsible for any theft..

.

.

If you threaten to call Code, maybe.

.

But if your lease is up and you are already moving, you have lost a lot of leverage because he can just evict if you don't move when your lease expires. The time to act is when you are having the problems during the lease, not at the end of it..

ok thanks
he never sent us anything in writing asking if we wanted to extend our lease so would it be considered a month to month at this point

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

And if your lease has expired, and you remained there after that paying rent, then yes, you are now a month to month tenant and either party can terminate with a written 30 day notice.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much