Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I would like to know my rights as a landlord in PA. My first…

I would like to know...
I would like to know my rights as a landlord in PA. My first floor tenants have taken over the hallway with their stuff -- boots and dog accessories by their door, boxes and a baby carseat by the inner front door and cases of water bottles in the vestibule right in front of the mailboxes! They have ignored repeated requests to remove them. Despite having their own storage closet in the basement, they have put a mattress set in our personal closet that we leave unlocked. They ignored my request asking if it belongs to them. I'm showing another apartment and have to apologize for the mess. We are having a clean-out of the basement next week. Can I send them an email saying that whatever is left in the public areas on that date will be removed to an alcove in the basement? I really don't want to give this space up but what else can I do?
3/8/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Do not move their personal property. It could subject you to liability.

Send them a notice via certified mail (or whatever means are required to give notice under the specific provisions in your lease agreement) that they are not leasing, and have no storage rights, in the public areas of the building and that if they do not remove their personal property they will be treated as having breached their lease. The breach will subject them to possible eviction and civil liability.

Pennsylvania law requires a 15 day notice to cure a non-monetary breach.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Thank you.

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you for using JA.

Are you still online with me?

I gave you an excellent rating...is there more?

Thank you for following up. The answer does not indicate that it was rated.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Lawyer