Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

If my lease agreement doesn't state I have to pay the full…

Customer Question
If my lease agreement...

If my lease agreement doesn't state I have to pay the full year if I terminate my lease I'm moving to another state and have only been in this apartment for about a month and i need get out of the agreement

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

New York

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

It states that a 2 months notice at the end of lease. That's it. Maintenance and upkeep not very great I've asked for the toilet to be fixed but hasn't it's been 3 weeks. Also there have been rodent sightings and asked for materials to help counter that also have not received that.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 4 months ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. If a tenant breaches a lease and vacates before the lease term ends, they could be liable to the landlord for damages. That would be the cost to find a new tenant and while the rental sits idle. Even though it does not state there is a penalty, this is a legally binding contract and if there is a breach, a party can be sued. Now, if the landlord has failed to comply with the lease and make necessary repairs or the property is not habitable, you could have a basis to break the lease and vacate, after they have been placed on notice and failed to current the violations/issues.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!