Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I moved out of my apartment a month ago tomorrow, and I was…

Customer Question
I moved out of...

I moved out of my apartment a month ago tomorrow, and I was contacted yesterday with a bill for over $1800 in damages. I have read that the leasing agent has 3 days to contact me with the bill for damages. Is this correct? It also states that I have until 30 days after I move out to pay for the damages and the 30 day time limit is up tomorrow

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. The letter states that if the fees are not paid by tomorrow it will go into collections

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't believe so

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/8/2018
Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
Are you referring to the deadline for returning your security deposit or itemising the damages for which it is used?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was wondering do they have a deadline as to when they have to notify me of charges due to any damage they believe were made to the unit. i guess both questions
Thank you for the additional information.
The landlord has 30 days to either return your deposit or itemize the damages for which it was used. If you ish to dispute that you would send the landlord a written response detailing the reasons. If the landlord and you can not reach a settlement then you need to sue them in small claims court.
With regard to the time limits to collect damages outside of, or in excess of, the security deposit, the statute of limitations for breach of contract applies.
In Georgia, it is 4 yrs for a verbal lease and 6 yrs for a written one.
If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
Are you still online with me?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Lawyer