Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

City inspected the apartment complex so landlord had to fix…

Customer Question
Hi. City inspected the...

Hi. City inspected the apartment complex so landlord had to fix the apartment we have been renting for 6 years. We have staying in the bed room for 4 days while they repair and we have not bee able to use the apartment to use kitchen, living room, or shower. My wife 3 kids and I have force to eat in the floor.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

C.A.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That would be it.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/8/2018
Lawyer: Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Richard - Bizlaw

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

Since the repairs were mandated by the city you have undisputed evidence that the unit was not maintained in habitable condition. You are entitled to a reduction in the rent for the period your family was limited to staying the bedroom. Lack of access to the kitchen the loss of the shower are serious inconveniences. You should look to get a reduction of about 50% of the rent for each of the days you could not use the rooms. For example if your daily rent works out to $40 per day you would want a reduction of $20 per day for the days you lost access. In addition, if you had to eat out or buy prepared food to eat in, to the extent you spent more money on food than would otherwise be the case you would be entitled to reimbursement for that additional cost.

If I have answered all your questions, please highly rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney