Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I used to live with my boyfriend in an apartment in Glen…

Customer Question
I used to live with...
I used to live with my boyfriend in an apartment in Glen Cove, NY. Both our names were on the lease. When our relationship ended due to a few reasons, (including fear of my safety stemming from his aggression and a couple police reports filed with the local police department) I moved out. A month later, my then ex- boyfriend was in a serious accident at work and he became disabled. He couldn't work anymore because of his injuries (and is still disabled today) so he stopped paying rent. He still lived at the apartment though, because he was disabled and needed a place to recover. He was evicted about 3 months later. My name was still on the lease the whole time. Do I have any options to get this eviction off my credit?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/8/2018
Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 1 month ago
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

My name was still on the lease the whole time. Do I have any options to get this eviction off my credit?

.

Unfortunately no, if you were on the lease, and the landlord evicted you and the ex through the courts, then there is no way to remove it because it is a legitimate record. The credit agencies are only required to remove inaccurate or incorrect information, not negative, but correct, info.

.

For future reference, if you had filed a domestic violence complaint or gotten a restraining order against the ex, then you could have given the landlord a copy of that and he would have had to release you from the lease... leaving ex as the only one liable for the lease so the only one who would have been evicted..

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

barristerinky
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney